Whats Wrong?

wizard12

Baseband Member
I don't get it, my computer is only 2 years old and its already going bad. Lots of the programs i use now take longer than usual to load or open. I have recently defraged my HD and used CCleaner to clean up stuff. I have zonealarm for security suite and I don't believe i have any viruses. My HD is not even that full. I've only used 50 GB, more or less. :( Can anyone tell me what is wrong? I know other people's computers that are probably older than mine but they run fine.

PS: My internet is quite slow but i have FIOS!!! I know this is kinda irrevalent but...help on speeding it up might help a bit too. :) I use firefox just to let u kno.

Have you reinstalled your operating system since you got your computer?. With windows it doesn't matter how much you defrag and use cleaners and stuff over time it just slows down and every so often it needs a reinstall to quicken it up again. I usually do mine every 6 - 12 months.

I agree with Lowndsey - I usually just end up reformatting every few months, but that just becomes chaotic. Really though, if you want the speeds you used to have, back up your data, run killdisk, and start from scratch

Is there a program on the web that will back up my data for me? Also how would i reinstall? Just put the windows disk back into the comp? do i HAVE to use killdisk is there another program that is not so...utterly distructive of my HD :)

Well a computer will begin to run slower because you are constantly adding files and programs to it. I wouldn't reinstall...yet. Run "msconfig" and change some start-up services. Disable what you don't need. You can also increased speed by keeping less files on your computer. I know a lot of people who use an external HDD for music and such. Their internal HDD is only for programs.

To reinstall you have to boot from the OS disc and choose to delete the partition. Then you want to create a new NTFS partition using all of the allocated space. However, I would create 2 partitions. You can make one about 100GB for programs and another 220GB for music, videos, and other files. This way, next time you reformat, you will only reformat the partition with the programs and you won't have to back up your other files.

You do not have to use killdisk. Just do the long NTFS format.

y would i have too much stuff on my HDD? I only have 54 GB in use. How can that be a lot if HDDs can hold a lot of stuff(320 GB). Thx for the msconfig command thought.

I wasn't necessarily saying you had a lot, I was just stating lol. Regardless, the more you have the slower it will be because the HDD has to sort through all files to get what you're looking for. Also, do you know what your HDD is formatted as? If it's FAT32, this effect could slow it down a bit more because as far as I know FAT32 allocates a table where as NTFS just has a journaling file system.

You could have a virus. Never known. Otherwise, virus or not, reformatting should just give you a fresh start.
I doubt it i should be clean of them cuz i do have zonealarm security suite. Also i have formatted as NTFS.
I'm looking at this program to clean my registry. Is it necessary? Tell me if it's good or not if u kno.
http://www.liutilities.com/products/campaigns/ppc/rb/gog/rbdownload/4/?s_kwcid=uniblue%20registry%20booster|1207276268&gclid=CJ7K64S46ZcCFQrFGgodShAGCw

No totally useless in "boosting" speed. Just follow everyone's advice and reinstall windows.

I have a 3.5 year old budget pc: dell dimension 3000 that I bought for $300 and its running like a charm. Can't run heavy games or apps but won't notice difference in browser speed.

I make sure to run ccleaner, a mcafee clean up tool, and virus check every week and defrag about 1 a month. I rarely download stuff and keep my hard drive clean. And i clean my computer of dust about 2 times a year.

computers don't usually get slower, everything else is just faster

Back
Top Bottom