Processor speed

If you want to disable the Intel Speedstep, go into your Vista Power options and set it to High Performance.
By default, your computer is set to Balanced which uses Speedstep. If you switch it to High Performance then your CPU should stay at the advertised speed. It actually does increase performance as it doesn't have to keep switching speeds. The difference for me when I switched it from Balanced was large so I recommend doing it.

I did went to my power settings and checked the "high performance" button and I rechecked cpuz. At first the core speed read 2666mhz but then it jumped back down to 1600mhz. Sometimes it'll jump to 2666 but its consistent at 1600.

Any ideas about why its doing this???

The system won't always use both cores to do simple tasks. Press ctrl, alt, del and select task manager then select the performance tab. Run something like prime95 and watch the cpu graph. I'd bet both cores come to life full bore.

I did went to my power settings and checked the "high performance" button and I rechecked cpuz. At first the core speed read 2666mhz but then it jumped back down to 1600mhz. Sometimes it'll jump to 2666 but its consistent at 1600.

Any ideas about why its doing this???
Can you take two CPU-Z screens for us?
-One when your system is idling
-One when your system is underload.

The system won't always use both cores to do simple tasks. Press ctrl, alt, del and select task manager then select the performance tab. Run something like prime95 and watch the cpu graph. I'd bet both cores come to life full bore.

Actually, my processor uses both cores to do even the most simplest task. I just opened up mozilla and both graphs jumped to around 30%.

Rite now both cores are at around 70%-100% and i'm running speed fan mozilla and a virus scan.

But big concern:
whats the difference in temperatures from bios and speed fan.
Last nite when running a virus scan it said the core temps of both cores were ranging around 46-52 C on speed fan. In bios it was around 29 to 33.
Which one is rite? (i'm running stock)

I'm seriously concerned about this. I'm not even running anything intensive and my processor is burning up. Is it normal for speedfan to overestimate or is it normal for core temps to reach the 50s on stock?

Last nite when running a virus scan it said the core temps of both cores were ranging around 46-52 C on speed fan. In bios it was around 29 to 33.
Which one is rite? (i'm running stock)
You can't compare BIOS temps to in Windows temps, the CPU is in a completely different state.
I'm seriously concerned about this. I'm not even running anything intensive and my processor is burning up. Is it normal for speedfan to overestimate or is it normal for core temps to reach the 50s on stock?
Depends what TjMax Speedfan uses to calculate the temps. Realtemp and now Coretemp use the correct TjMax of 100c to calculate the temps.
And 50c isn't burning up, max temp is 72c.

Okay, I've had this ages ago, but I'll ask anyway...
I have an old AMD Athlon 3000+ which is 2ghz..it's saying in Windows it's rated at 3.00ghz..but in other applications it still says 2.

Also what is the multiplier?

Back
Top Bottom