Can I salvage it?

Twist86

Baseband Member
I had a question I have some left over parts from old builds and a buddy of mine is making a mid-end gaming system and I am curious if I could give him any to help lower his cost.

I have old DDR2 1GB sticks/A64 cooler that will work but I was wondering if my Power Supply would work too.

CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W the output is +3.3V@20A,+5V@20A,+12V@33A,-12V@0.8A,+5VSB@2.5A

The system he plans to power is this *no overclock*
X2 5400+ BE 2.8ghz
2x 1GB DDR2 800
1x 9800GT (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130380)
1x 250GB SATA Seagate Drive
3x 80mm 2x 120mm and 1x 250mm fan
1x DVD/CD Burner

I think it would work...I used the http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp to get a general idea it was under 375w and I know the GPU needs 26 Amp which it covers but I am not sure about the rest.

Is it cutting it close or will it be just fine? Rate I am going he is gonna get one cheap upgrade.

it should work, Corsair makes quality PSUs.
I was able to run an X2 4800+, 3GB ram, 8800GT, 3 HDD, 7 120MM fans, all under an cheap 450W.

I heard that more RAM is better than running Dual Channel, but you dont really need more than 2GB of ram unless you are planning on running Vista.
The Ram should work also, as long as they are the same slots, and the motherboard supports more than 2 sticks.

The power supply should work.
The way technology is going, your old parts will probably slow it down.
You can try it, Windows will reject it if it don't like your parts.
Gaming?

RAM speed and timings doesnt seem to effect the performance much from what i have heard and seen. Its best to get the best parts so your computer can run better though, especially if you plan to OC.

I wouldnt say that rig is an mid-range gaming, its more of a closer to high-end since the 9800GT can run pretty much anything, unless its on an high resolution monitor.

The power supply should work.
The way technology is going, your old parts will probably slow it down.
You can try it, Windows will reject it if it don't like your parts.
Gaming?

That makes no sense....its not like I am throwing "old tech" into it...ram effects maybe 1 FPS jumping from 800 to 1066. Since he is rolling dual-core there wont be a option for DDR3.

The DDR2 800 is not a bad ram and I had it clocked to 1066mhz and I never noticed a difference in anything.

Far as Vista goes once you tweak and disable 80% of the blackholes 2GB runs it just fine.
Games like GTA4 or others that can be enabled to use all the possible ram will see a benefit.

He can upgrade to 4GB later but lets face it this is free parts for him...games he will play are World of Warcraft and Crysis/Far Cry 2...which are not super memory hungry games and with a properly tweaked Vista x64 runs no higher then 1.7gb of ram running either game on my system.

I wouldnt say that rig is an mid-range gaming, its more of a closer to high-end since the 9800GT can run pretty much anything, unless its on an high resolution monitor.

Well ok fair enough...I consider it "mid range" since the GTX 280 and 4870x2 are considered high-end...perhaps its more "insane-end"

Either case thanlks Teny :)

Back
Top Bottom