Liquid nitrogen cooling. What do you think?

yuki953

Baseband Member
Ok, so I got this idea from soebody (im not gunnu say... but hes on these forums) and i searched the web, i wana here ur take on it.

The thing is, When (this person, lets call him "X") X said, try Liquid nitro, i was skeptic... so i searched, and foun my answer. I allready knew that Liquid Nitrogen was EXTREMELY hard to handel in a household, and if you spill it, say bye bye to ur floor, if it doesnt turn into a gas the second it gets loose, (then say bye bye roof and hello rainy nights :rolleyes: ) anyways, there were 2 major methods i read about, putting Liquid nitrogen into watercooling and Putting liquid nitrogen into a big tub (container) and accualy putting your comp in there, im going to put my side of the story on both, and ide LOVE to here yours,

Water Cooling ver.

Putting Liquid Nitrogen into Watercooling would be a VERY bad idea, Not only will it destoy your tubes and all from just the shere -160 ( almost 0 kelvin[which is used to freeze atoms]) but it would also create so much condesation, to prevent that i was thinking copper tubes with a big peice of cottom around the edge, but that was an epic fail for me. it quite obviously wouldent work, to get the cotton on you'de first want to either Glue it or Tape it, obviously the glue would shivle up and just go poof, and then the tape would fall off eventualy and again... cause masive ammounts of condensation. Then i read that you would need tubeing that could withstand an INFINATE ammount of presure, i knew my plan wa dead then.

Dipping in a vat of Liquid Nirogen ver.

As i read about this i thought...hmmm this may be posible but i was i gotta admit a ll skeptic, a big open va of liquid nitro? that cant be posible, it would all vanish while it was being poored in, and a masive ammount would freeze your house, or mabey not... i didnt research if Liquid Nitrogen let off an aura of coldness or if its just the liquid. but also you would need a team of 50 scientist and a pretty big heat producing comp for this to work, well, as long as this quote from Yahoo answers is correct
The biggest problem, however, is that if you get computer components too cold, you'll kill them.
Of course i dont beleive this but if it is true, and it hits -160, that would be REALY bad, your computer is now dead... but then i saw this video and that totaly contradicted it, so, i think its not totaly imposible, but not worth it.

Final Verdict

Doing this would be COMPLETELY useless, looking at vid (only posible way ive accualy seen) then you would have to constantly have to keep adding liquid nitrogen, unless you have something that could hold MASIVE ammounts of presure. Please tell me what you think about it, and other posibilitys

People have been doing liquid nitrogen cooling for years, all you need is a copper pot to put the LN2 in. All it's good for is overclocking sessions where you're trying to get the absolute highest clocks possible. Don't even consider it for a 24/7 rig.

Edit: You will need insulation to prevent condensation too. They make substances to put on your CPU/motherboard pins to prevent condensation in those tight spaces.

thats the thing... im trying to start another debate on ways for 24/7 water colling =)

anyways, i allready stated about the condesation

lol, it needs a constant supply though, which cant be 24/7, and i need a 24/7 for liquid nitro

also... if you do this, GL taking it apart and putting ur heatsink back when you wana stop....

I don't plan on it. I can't afford to buy CPU's just to take on sub-zero overclocking death runs.

Well yeah, you can do it to any CPU you want, but I need my CPU to last longer than a week.

Water pumps fail. Pelteir chips have condensation problems and consume Ungodly amounts of power. Plus you still have to vent off the heat they produce.
LN cooling is a show piece. Just to show it can be done. But you also have to take in to account that IC chips no matter what they are designed to do, have upper and lower temp limits. They get too hot and you get thermal runaway. They get too cold and you have low temp physics come in to play.
For example a resistor at room temp has such and such ohms resistance. But as it gets colder the resistance drops. As the temp of the resistor rises the resistance rises with it. If you get a resistor too cold the value drops below a usable level as if it's just a piece of wire. If it gets too hot it will have too much resistance and will eventually fail.

The same in principle holds true for cpu chips. They get too hot and they fail. They get too cold and the dynamics of the chip changes radically. While inside a temperature window they run as advertised. LN cooling is not practical from the stand point of not being safe for those who are not trained in cryogenics. Also in its cost and in the upkeep it requires as the cryogenic liquid boils off.

As Cabbs put it for 24/7 cooling there are safer, more cost effective ways.

Back
Top Bottom