Messed up something with Vista

4thgenlude

Baseband Member
Ok I was trying to optimize my Torrent downloads, and ran across something that said I should open up some more TCP connections. So I found a program online that could open up more TCP connections and shut off UAC on Vista.

I ran it and now Windows cant even start up. Unfortunately I cant find my Vista Ultimate cd, but I tried putting in my buddies Vista home basic cd and the computer wouldn't even recognize it.

The screen just basically says:

"Windows Error Recovery
A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
Insert windows installation cd
Click repair

Other options:

if power was interrupoted during start up, choose start windows normally:

Start windows normally
Safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt
last know good configuration (advanced)

"

Then it has a little timer at the end till it selects the highlighted option.

If I choose start windows normally it will get to the windows load bar then turn blue and restart. Safe mode just scrolls through a bunch of system32 stuff then restarts.

I have been meaning to go back to windows xp for sometime now, and I have the CD for it. So I was wondering if I could load xp and transfer everything from my hard drive over.

oh I just bought a new 1 TB harddrive, so I should be able to mess with that when it gets here.

MERRY X-MAS and thanks for all the help!!

Try the last option, Last known good configuration.

If that doesnt work, go into safe mode, and set everything back to normal.

Try the last option, Last known good configuration.

If that doesnt work, go into safe mode, and set everything back to normal.

I tried that, "last know good configuration" didnt work, and safe mode just load a bunch of system32 stuff then crashed and restarted.

only open TCP ports manualy.... If you cant find ur Disc take it to bestbuy, thats what i did lol

only open TCP ports manualy.... If you cant find ur Disc take it to bestbuy, thats what i did lol

Yeah, I might have too. Im going to wait till I get my new hard drive and see if I cant figure something out when I get that, because best buy isnt cheap!!

Well I was able to fix Vista by installing a fresh copy, but now all my files and programs are in the windows.old file.

So anyone know a good way to restore everything to the way it was from the windows.old file?

Back
Top Bottom