Building a budget computer, asking for input...

Illusionist

Solid State Member
I am planning on building a new computer and have what i think will work for me. I want the capability to do some gaming (not hardcore, I'm a console guy), but the big thing I am looking for is upgradeability. I was curious as to the forums opinion on the hardware that I have selected. I've been out of computers for a while, but am fairly familiar with them (used to program). Without further ado, here's what I have selected:

Case
Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower - 59.95

Power Supply
Rosewill RP550V2 - 59.99

Mobo
ASRock P43Twins1600 - 79.99

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale 2.66GHz 3MB L2 Cache - 119.99

RAM
Corsair XMS3 DHX 2GB 240 Pin DDR3 1600 - 84.00

Video Card
XFX PVT960SDFH GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB 192-Bit GDDR2 - 77.99

I plan on using the plain on board sound for now (just have a pair of speakers, no need for surround), a basic DVD/CD Burner (HP for 29.99). Total price for this setup is 481.91, with 50 in mail in rebates. I know I'll need more memory soon. I've toyed with doing a 4GB memory with a lower FSB (i think it was 800MHz), what thoughts do you have on this? Also I plan on running 64bit Vista. Thanks for all the help!!

I appreciate the input. The reason I mentioned that tower was the two fans instead of one. Is that overkill? (Didn't think you could ever have too much cooling...) Also I plan on running Vista 64 bit. Thanks again, hope this clarifies.

oh, then by all meens use that one, but 1 fa wont really make a differnce, if wana know a secret, i ike to keep the isde of my case open with a 12" by 12'' fan siting there, keeps it about 10 degrees colder..., but if yu realy want a good cooling, invest into some water cooling

ill shop around for a cheap watercooling setup 4 u

Cool, any other suggestions? BTW, the link to the RAM is the same as the CPU, so I'm not sure which memory you were talking about. Any body else have input? I have looked at some of the other posts, including the bada** post about the multiple system builds, but they are almost all AMD (had bad luck with AMD in the past, too gun shy about going back). Thanks again for helping a noob out.

You don't need DDR3 RAM. Are you going to be doing a lot of overclocking? Just stick with DDR2. You won't see a huge amount of difference in comparison.

You don't need DDR3 RAM. Are you going to be doing a lot of overclocking? Just stick with DDR2. You won't see a huge amount of difference in comparison.

+1

triple channel isn't even supported on that board, so you might as well stick with some 800mhz DDR2 to pair up with that 1600mhz FSB at a 1:1 ratio...

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB)

also, that psu is way down on the food chain as far as psus go, you should have a quality psu in your build because it's the backbone of your system, I realize you may be on a budget, so here's an OCZ 600w psu that "seems" more expensive at first, but with the free shipping you are really paying just about the same price for it as you would've with the other one that didn't have free shipping, it's a quality psu at a good price plus it has a $30 MIR...

they make most of there money from ppl NOT doing the mail in rebate, the whole mir thing made no sence to me... why would they advertiseing giving bck free csh

Back
Top Bottom