Just pruchased a new hard drive and problem already

the thing is tho it is SATA as it says SATA on the cable and I purchased a SATA HDD as it says it on the box..

Oh wait.. Is the power cable of a SATA the thin one or the thicker one?? because if it is the thin red one then it is not branching off.

If that cable has another branching off of it, then it's not SATA. SATA works on the concept of one device on one cable. Sounds like it ATA. If it is then check the master<> slave jumpers. It sounds like to me it's on the same cable as your optical drive and the jumper on the CD and the hard drive are set the same. Make the cd drive master and the hard drive slave. Then it should see it. Remember you have to format the drive before you can use it.

Oops! my bad. I just looked over your posts again and you say it comes off the other HD. Same difference though. Set the jumpers. The one in there now should be master and the new one slave.

I thought this too, but he says he knows it's SATA...

Ok here are the pics.. And yuki i am in the uk so newegg is useless to me mate..

and it is defitly sata

DSC00284.jpg

DSC00283.jpg

(i know it looks like the power is out but I just did that taking the pic)
DSC00282.jpg

DSC00281.jpg

well if it was the sata cords ur comp wouldent boot... mabey defaulty power? try another power cord if u can, other then that, its defaulty

The flat red cable is data. The one with the other wires going to the other drive are power. In the bios you have to turn on the sata ports that are being used. Most boards have them disabled.

lol! looking at your comp specs in ur sig... u may have to upgrade that PSU, prolly to 500-750 wats, 750 for furture upgrade

well in bios it has detected that it is a hitachi hdd and it looks like all the SATA cables are enabled..

so does this look like i may need a new PSU or something else?

Back
Top Bottom