Just pruchased a new hard drive and problem already

sherwood

In Runtime
well I haven't been on hear in a while and I doubt any of you remember me :p

anyway...

today I just purchased a Hitachi HDP725050GLA380 ATA 500gb internal HDD and I have just pluged it in with the power and sata(ata or whatever) cable it is called and I plug it in (i'm using vista) and it says new hardware installing after it finishes I check Computer and it is not there but I do notice it says I have got a new CD driver :confused:

so I restart my PC to see if that will help and nope it is still saying I have an extra cd driver.

So I then open up my PC and swap round the wires to see if that help and I turn on says it is installing a new HDD and it does the same again! it says I got a new CD driver :/

any help please??

Before I started setting up my new hdd I had a bad feeling about it for some reason :(

I don't actually no as it doesn't say on the cable :s

My primary hdd is connected to a cable and on that cable it has another cable coming off so I connected it to that hope that make sense..

if not I will show you a pic of it..

Is the power pluged in? If yes read on, if no keep reading
Did you get from newegg? If so was it an openbox item? It may be defaulty
If no read on
oh, well its a driver problem, is there an OS on there?
If no, then dont try this and try the other option,
(OS)
Option one, switch the HDDs top on bottom, bottom on top,
and then boot up
(No OS)
Try putting as a slave in another comp, if it cant read it also its defaulty.

first thing you should do is go into your bios to see if it recognizes it, there's also a pretty big difference if it's SATA (narrow usually red or yellow cable) or IDE (wide ribbon cable), let us know after you do that, also, did it come with a CD...? if so try that as well...

lol i forgot about IDE...

he said it was SATA
I just purchased a Hitachi HDP725050GLA380 ATA 500gb internal HDD and I have just pluged it in with the power and sata

I know it is sata and I am sure it recognized it as when I first booted up it said new hardware and it also it tried to install the driver and it said it had done but nothing showed up..

I also can't test it on another pc as my other one doesn't support SATA..

It also did not come with a disc and I went on to the hitachi website and it says that there is no drivers to be downloaded as they should be pre-installed on to the pc already.

put it back in, and wait 10 minutes, the drivers should bbe loaded from the HDD by then, if not theres 1 of 2 problems, defaulty hardwear, or your not pluggin it in right, a pic would help

If that cable has another branching off of it, then it's not SATA. SATA works on the concept of one device on one cable. Sounds like it ATA. If it is then check the master<> slave jumpers. It sounds like to me it's on the same cable as your optical drive and the jumper on the CD and the hard drive are set the same. Make the cd drive master and the hard drive slave. Then it should see it. Remember you have to format the drive before you can use it.

Oops! my bad. I just looked over your posts again and you say it comes off the other HD. Same difference though. Set the jumpers. The one in there now should be master and the new one slave.

Back
Top Bottom