Need a New Computer

jake1344

Beta member
So, it's time for a new desktop.

I've looked at some reviews and the Gateway DX4720 seems to be a popular choice for a budget PC. I can't spend more than $500USD before tax, so is this my best choice? I know I won't be able to do any gaming but it would be nice if I could run Photoshop or AutoCAD software although I don't know if this is possible.

I know the basics of computers but I'm not sure I know enough to build my own, or at least I wouldn't know where to start.

So basically I'm asking is this computer the best bet for my budget? I need opinions.

You can easily make one for $500 to $600, that will be way faster than this. Putting a computer together is very simple. It takes less than 30 minutes. The hardest part is actually waiting for the parts to arrive, haha. Would you be confident enough if we helped you step by step?

For someone with experience at building their own cases it won't take much time at all. For a first time builder you start off slow in order to double check things as you go along.

Picking out things like the board, cpu, amount of memory, case, and a good power supply as well as an adequate video card are the main items. The one or more hard drives and optical drives depend on need there. Then there's the OS you decide to go with.

Once you have the case and board selected you have something to build upon since first knowing what the board supports will help is choosing the remaining hardwares. For Cad and even considering a 64bit edition of Vista the Home Premium edition will save on cost there.

I would be willing to learn and look into building a PC, especially if I can get a better bang for my buck. However I would also like to know what my best possible choice would be if I decided to buy a pre-built computer.

When building a computer, where do I start? How do I know what components work together? Is there a good tutorial that you can push me in the direction of?

When building a computer, where do I start? How do I know what components work together? Is there a good tutorial that you can push me in the direction of?
We can help you with that, and I think one of our members posted a guide on the actual building part, and my sticky is at the top of the page.

Take the conan whatever and stick it ... The rest of us will get back on the subject of helping jake1344 get a new build together.

(hope that came out alright :p )

Back
Top Bottom