Upgrading from XP to Vista with multiple hard drives.

thisXjustXinX69

Beta member
I just recently built my own computer. At first I was running XP on a 40 gb hard drive and was using a 400 gb as a slave. I decided to upgrade to Vista and installed it on the 400 gb so I can get rid of the 40 gb. I was told how to do it with using upgrade software. I only have one problem that I can't solve. The computer wont boot up without the 40 gb installed as the master still and the 400 gb as the slave. If anyone knows how I can get it run correctly without the 40 gb please let me know. Either reply to my thread or just email me at justinsh@twcny.rr.com. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

the reason for your problem is because your "slave" drive doesn't have the boot.ini / master boot record. So i don't believe you will be able to fix it without re-installing the OS, or using a special harddrisk program to write the boot files.

IDE drives?

Remove the 80GB from the pc, set the 400GB jumper to master.

Assuming you did actually install Vista to the 400GB drive that should be all you need to do.

If you use cable select ensure the 400GB drive is on the middle plug of the IDE ribbon cable.

Back
Top Bottom