Not another one of Britain's independent stores!

tom-knox

Fully Optimized
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7798973.stm

Zavvi, the multimedia chain have gone into administration this evening.

I am really upset that Britain is losing major businesses so rapidly, i'm quite upset about Woolworths going under recently there's 100 years of heritage in that high street brand they were one of the biggest successes of British can-do-itude and now there gone.

What do you guys think about the effects of 'the crunch' (much more talked up than in effect) this year?

PS. I've just been told that the 'Officer's club' menswear chain have gone into administration too.
PSS. They've [Officer's club] have changed hands and have gone into new ownership, they have been rescued from their liquidation worries.

Very sad indeed. I thought it was still part owned by richard branson as part of the virgin megastores brand but I guess not.

Has the credit crunch heavily affected anyone here? Our family seem to be pretty much as normal (more of my dads 'Judgement day is coming'-esque apocalyptic foreshadowing than normal, but otherwise we're ok.)

I cant say ive noticed much change during the past months, if anything some prices are going down. People are certainly still shopping a lot, this Xmas our supermarket has had a very very busy week this week... i think a lot of this credit crunch stuff is mostly a media "concept" because it sells for them, but things are definitely not good that's for sure

Zavvi had it coming. Too expensive and too similar to HMV, plus they relied on the Entertainmant UK supply chain that Woolworths used.

They even closed their store on Princes Street in Edinburgh which has been Virgin Megastores for 25 years so now HMV have two stores on there. They were always doomed.

i think richard branson saw the storm coming that's why he sold it last year
, i read today they are being killed off by online sales such as play.com where you can get things cheaper most the time and with free delivery who can disagree with that

i havent really noticed any difference at home we still go the same place to do our shopping and still buy the same old stuff , my parents fuel bill for the car has in fact gone down both this month last month and the month before

i wouldn't be suprized at the announcement of even more high street chains going under at the end of the january sales

i think whilst everyone is seeing the miserable side of this credit crunch there will be good things to come out of it , for instance the economy will be stronger for it because only well managed good companies will remain afterwords dosent matter how many years it takes the economy will be stronger for it

Back
Top Bottom