Looking to get a new CPU but unsure

cldd5678

Baseband Member
I'm thinking of getting a few new parts for my computer, but I'm a bit stuck at getting a processor. This is mostly because I can't find what my motherboard specifically supports. It's an Asus P5VD2-X LGA775. The Asus website says that it supports all Core 2 processors. I currently have a Core 2 Duo E6300.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=1362&l1=3&l2=11&l3=346

What I am getting confused about is if my mobo supports Core 2 Quad. I know it supports the Extreme models but there's no way in hell I'm dishing out 700 bucks minimum. I found a site with reviews that show what CPU's it supports, but the Quad isn't there.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/ASUS_P5VD2_X__6574888

I'm thinking that it does support it, simply based on the fact that their the same slot, but I'm not sure. I just started getting back into the computer parts scene, so it's still a bit daunting. But anyway, if anyone could tell me whether it does or doesn't support it that would be great. I bet I'm gonna feel really stupid after this, but whatever:D . Thanks

It will support the quad. The C2Q are all socket 775, which your motherboard supports. You'll be fine.

"Intel® Core™2 Processor Ready
This motherboard supports the latest Intel® Core™2 processors in LGA775 package. With new Intel® Core™ microarchitecture technology and 1066 / 800 MHz FSB, Intel® Core™2 processor is one of the most powerful and energy efficient CPUs in the world."

I'm pretty sure.

"Intel® Core™2 Processor Ready
This motherboard supports the latest Intel® Core™2 processors in LGA775 package. With new Intel® Core™ microarchitecture technology and 1066 / 800 MHz FSB, Intel® Core™2 processor is one of the most powerful and energy efficient CPUs in the world."

I'm pretty sure.

I don't know how often they update their cpu support lists for older boards, but no quad cores are listed while the new dual core celerons are...

They should be compatible because it has the same socket and it says it support the "Core 2" series which includes the Core 2 Quad.

So yes, it supports the C2Q.

They should be compatible because it has the same socket and it says it support the "Core 2" series which includes the Core 2 Quad.

So yes, it supports the C2Q.

unless they haven't released a bios update to support the quads yet, they could've printed that when the core2 series was all duos and quads hadn't been released yet, that's an older motherboard...

unless they haven't released a bios update to support the quads yet, they could've printed that when the core2 series was all duos and quads hadn't been released yet, that's an older motherboard...

But he said it supports the Extreme ones, therefor it must support the Quads. Extremes are Quad's anyway, just more expensive, and a slightly higher cache and speed.

But he said it supports the Extreme ones, therefor it must support the Quads. Extremes are Quad's anyway, just more expensive, and a slightly higher cache and speed.

maybe he got it confused, it supports the Core 2 Extreme X6800, which is a dual core processor, not a quad core...

Back
Top Bottom