my friend wants a new build need help

yer i know i picked it lol

anyway back to the build
what are your thoughts an an athlon x2 5400+ as the cpu

or even this is a decent cpu for the price
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(38173)AMD-CPU-AM2-6000-Athlon-64-X2-Dual-Core-Retail.aspx

I have no clue, I don't do AMD and know even less about pricing abroad, but he's picking a great time to do this, between the sales now and the ones after X-mas he'll be able to get a very good system for probably about 2/3 the price it normally would be...

yer well he is buying it all after x mas
well if he where to go Intel what kind of processor could he get for the money
i am not adamant amd yet i only suggested it cos i have an amd chip and i find no problems he has used my pc and said it runs fast enough , i made this thread so other ideas could be bounced around so please by all means show me what sort of intel stuff can be had for smaller prices ,
dont worry about prices etc i can convert them or whatever is needed

yer well he is buying it all after x mas
well if he where to go Intel what kind of processor could he get for the money
i am not adamant amd yet i only suggested it cos i have an amd chip and i find no problems he has used my pc and said it runs fast enough , i made this thread so other ideas could be bounced around so please by all means show me what sort of intel stuff can be had for smaller prices ,
dont worry about prices etc i can convert them or whatever is needed

a new Intel cpu would probably push him way over his budget, so AMD seems like a good choice, unless he wants to try just upgrading his RAM (256MB is insufficient and would make any cpu seem slow), he could borrow some memory from someone and see if his system would be good enough if he just had 1 or 2 GBs, then all he'd need is a hard drive...

he is adamant he wants a new build i dont blame him really even with 1gb ram my parents pentium d 2.53ghz isnt wonderful for multitasking even after a completely clean boot

anyway intel sell cpu's like this
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...re+E2220+2.4GHz+(Retail+775)+?productId=31124
looks to me like a stripped down core 2 duo how do you think that would compare to a simillarly priced amd chip

and plus he will have the spare money and nothing else to blow it on he has an xbox and a ps3 he was offered that his parents buy him one for x mas but i said he would have more fun and get a better machine if he built one himself so he went with that

he is adamant he wants a new build i dont blame him really even with 1gb ram my parents pentium d 2.53ghz isnt wonderful for multitasking even after a completely clean boot

anyway intel sell cpu's like this
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...re+E2220+2.4GHz+(Retail+775)+?productId=31124
looks to me like a stripped down core 2 duo how do you think that would compare to a simillarly priced amd chip

and plus he will have the spare money and nothing else to blow it on he has an xbox and a ps3 he was offered that his parents buy him one for x mas but i said he would have more fun and get a better machine if he built one himself so he went with that

the only thing I don't like is the 800mhz FSB, he could OC it, but then that adds to the total cost (a decent cpu cooler, a case with good air flow management, etc.)...

with that cpu, he could get this...

mobo

memory

to start, and the motherboard would leave him an option later on to go antwhere he wanted cpu-wise (core2duo, core2quad, etc.), plus it has a 1600mhz FSB, so then he could upgrade his memory as well to DDR2 800mhz or 1066mhz, plus he wouldn't be restricted to full ATX cases if he finds a decent little case because the mobo is microATX...

would the 800mhz really cripple performance that much im speaking to him now and he dosent want to do anything new that he dosent already do with his current comp he just wants to do it faster and maybe simultaneously

stuff like
downloading films
transcoding them to dvd
watchinf videos
internet
email
you tube this is the basic sort of stuff
then there is office apps and media player etc #
and he will only be running windows xp

also whats the diff between
GA-G31M-S2L
and
GA-G31M-ES2L
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(30900)Gigabyte-motherboard-GAG31MS2L-Intel-G31.aspx
and
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(39162)Gigabyte-motherboard-GAG31MES2L.aspx

as ive found the GA-G31M-ES2L cheaper at another shop and they also had the GA-G31M-S2L

would the 800mhz really cripple performance that much im speaking to him now and he dosent want to do anything new that he dosent already do with his current comp he just wants to do it faster and maybe simultaneously

stuff like
downloading films
transcoding them to dvd
watchinf videos
internet
email
you tube this is the basic sort of stuff
then there is office apps and media player etc #
and he will only be running windows xp

for 25 more GBP(?) he can get an E7300, that's a huge upgrade in cpu and would boost the performance with the other parts considerably imo, as of right now, the E7300, the mobo and the RAM are under 150 GBP(?) so he could even upgrade the RAM to 800mhz RAM and probably still stay under 200...

well i will wait till january sales and if there are any decent one then i might suggest that to him although that would be 150 for mobo cpu and ram , leaving about 100 at a squeese for a case and drives both hdd and optical
looking at his budget i may just except intel as a dead loss and go with AMD there budget stuff is better
i wish some amd experts would chip in here so i could have both sides of the coin covered lol

Back
Top Bottom