Just built a PC and man,I have issues, help!

leahcim

Baseband Member
I just built a PC for my parents with the basics, AMD 2.6, Asus board with integrated graphics, 2 gigs of RAM and a 500 GB HD.

Got it all hooked up, installed XP, everything good so far but I adjusted the screen to my normal "1024x768".

The screen looks stretch bad and when i went online to test it, the screen gets "waves" in it when I scroll down a page. I have never had this happen. What is up? Could the integrated graphics be the problem?

OMG I am an idiot. Thanks guys, i will do that and see what happens.

OK, I installed the drivers and the screen does not mess up but still looks stretched.

Also, after the 3 Driver installs, the PC restarted and i went into DOS where it prompted me to "make disk for Bios menu". I could not do this becasue I have no floppy so i just ejected the deik and restarted into Windows until all the drivers were installed.

Will this be a problwem no having the Bios menu on floppy?

Also, how can I fix this stretched screen other than going down to 800x600 whichis just not good at all, too big.

Thanks for all the help!

You really don't need to create a "disk for Bios menu". That's just a bootable floppy used for recovery purposes.

Have you tried upping the screen refresh rate to something like 70Hz or higher?

How is that done?

Found the refresh rate, 70 made it worse and the screen blinks alot.

Sometimes, after I reinstall the graphics card drivers, I have to resize the screen manually with the buttons actually on the screen.

Is this a CRT or an LCD? It's normal for a CRT to flicker at 60Hz, you could increase the refresh rate a bit. I have my CRT at 85Hz.

It is a 19" LCD.

It is not real bad, just alot worse than the PC that was installed before, with the same monitor, but that PC had a graphics card installed.

What motherboard is it? The onboard graphics chip may not naturally support wide screen resolutions or it may just need a newer version of drivers.

Asus M2A-VM

it has the Radeon Express 1250

Got any suggestions for a cheap video card that would work?

All that will be done on this PC is some DVD/CD ripping & burning and browsing the net and maybe some word processing. games will rarely if ever be played.

Back
Top Bottom