can my psu handle a 3850?

Depending on which 450w Xion model. The specifications seen on one at the link shows it lacks the additional power feed for the newer SLI/Crossfire video cards. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...?EdpNo=3622562&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

Your main board will also have to be PCI-E 2.0 as well to see the full performance value. The Xion 500w model supply seen at the newegg here would be a move up seeing support for the card at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817190019

yeah 2.0 on my board wont make very much of a difference and i cant upgrade it cuz then i'd need to upgrade ram and cpu also

You should be fine with that power supply. It has plenty of amps on the 12V rail. The video card will come with a power adapter if you need it.

A graphics card surge protector? I've never heard of them. I really don't see the need for one either as I've never heard of a power spike from the PSU killing a video card.

As noted earlier Dodge1970, the Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 comes with the needed power adapter. :D

ughhh i cant stand newegg shipping!!! i ordered it yesterday, it got to Sacramento this morning/ last night and its still gonna take till tuesday to get here wt heck?????? i live about a 1 hour drive from sac man why cant they just stop half way lol

Don't blame Newegg for your percieved slowness with UPS's shipping. Rember it's Christmas season and they are absolutely swamped at this time and nothing moves on Sunday.

A graphics card surge protector? I've never heard of them. I really don't see the need for one either as I've never heard of a power spike from the PSU killing a video card.

As noted earlier Dodge1970, the Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 comes with the needed power adapter. :D

Haven't you ever heard of selling gimics? We now need surge protection in order to run video cards?! :rolleyes: Can I sell a bridge as well? :p

The main idea behind something like that is simply in the event a supply sees some kind of short sending a surge into the board that has been known to kill boards real fast. With large vpued cards seeing a direct feed from the supply this is another item to keep a card safe as well as something else to sell.

Back
Top Bottom