My Old Tae Kwon Do Instructor

NEED WOW NOW

Daemon Poster
Gone Youtube!
Some of you may know I'm a Black Belt in Tae Kwon do and I have been learning it for about 4 years, 5 years in January. My instructor was Dave Vanderhoff and he was an excellent teacher.

I had just contacted my old Tae Kwon Do Instructor about a few problems with my new instructor and found out that he is going to start a website of his teachings.

I have been working with him for 4 years and sadly he had to sell the school to a new owner, which I don't really like much in the ways of teaching.

Just in case your interested, I found out that he posted a few video's on Youtube. Here's three simple defense video's that I know myself very well:

Knife Defense:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9gImfqdHxY&feature=channel

Bat Defense:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpxf4tWpG44&feature=channel

Gun Defense:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZycrxwBybEk&feature=channel

I will check the vids tomorrow. There is a blackout of youtube going on for today to protest the censorship they are imposing and I will not visit because of that. It is slated for today only just to demonstrate that you do not f the users. They will demote any vid that has profanity in it. Basically freedom of speech.

My uncle was a teacher. He is a 5th degree black belt. (I have proof) I've being doing tae kwon doe for 13 years. Well, I stopped, I'm into jujitsu right now. I start at the police academy soon. Hopefully it will help, haha. He owns International Federation of Karate-Do.
http://ifkd.com/index.html
If you have questions, ask him.

I will check the vids tomorrow. There is a blackout of youtube going on for today to protest the censorship they are imposing and I will not visit because of that. It is slated for today only just to demonstrate that you do not f the users. They will demote any vid that has profanity in it. Basically freedom of speech.

A private organization doesnt have to give you free speech, :rolleyes: when you upload a video, its officially there property.

Liked the videos, i hope he does more :)

I heard that YouTube does very little (if not, none) moderation - It's all down to other users that flag the videos

Meh, his self defense instruction videos are obviously for youtubers. Faced in certain very particular situations, yeah that can be great advice. But don't watch a youtube video and think you can go out and disarm someone like you are smooth and silky. It takes A LOT of physical practice with these moves to train them to be effective in a variety of situations. Not JUST when his wrist is right in front of you, and he is holding the bat exactly how YOU imagined him holding it according to the instructional videos you watch. All in all, yes he has good advice, but the regular person that has no martial arts experience, and isn't very trained in being maneuverable in close encounter situations is going to try this move in a split second after remembering it, its not going to work within seconds, and you are probobly going to be in a worse situation. Wanna know what the right thing to do is if someone has a knife? RUN. And a gun? Do what they say. I am decently trained in the self defense of Aikido, but I'd still choose to run any day over a confrontation. Has nothing to do with being a p*ssy. It's just the logical thing to do. Careful kids, don't think you have a black belt because you youtube martial arts instructional videos. And no, I'm not implying this to you WOW NOW.

I see where your coming from FL and the only bad thing about having instructional widows online is that he doesn't have to time for lectures that would explain many things.

He would always say even in his 20+ years of training, he is still not comfortable in a knife fight. He always explained the three steps before you go to remove a knife.
1 - Check your surroundings, if you can run, do it!
2 - If you can't run and you have family/friends with you, check your surroundings for things to use against the knife. If there's a metal chair right next to you, you don't go straight up and attack with bare fists.
3 - If there's nothing you can do, dedicate yourself to getting that knife out of the situation. Don't hesitate

He would always talk about using the techniques before he would actually get to teaching them. I think he should place a little advisor in the info saying,"Don't think your going to disarm knives like a pro now. It requires years of training etc."

http://www.youtube.com/user/ProStarMMA

Thats my martial arts. Joe Brignoli has only been to my place twice, but he is good, great to train with.

The thing is, a lot of the older style Tae Kwon Doe, is entirly tournament/show stuff. Some people have come to believe kicking high and punching from the waist is great... WRONG. If you are punching from the waste, you are leaving your self exposed for elbows and fists. Originally, the Japanese would have there hand at their waist to symbolize that they had been attacked and now had a limb from the other person in their grasp. All the original forms, that people thought were a bunch of punchs and blocks, fighting people from all angles. Well actualy, its just a combination of tons of techniques. From all angles as well. Each thing is basically 3 steps. Bock, Stun, Take Down. Thats it, all those complicated Bunkai forms, are 3 essential steps.
About the kicks, well, a kick to the ankle looks stupid, so why not make it a kick to the face? The judges love it. but it doesnt do much damage, and it puts you off balance, and is easy to dodge. Looks great in movies, but in reality, go for the knees, common perenial, or a quick ankle pick. Will get you a lot further. Not in a tourny though, thats when the face kicks are cool looking, and may get you more points. You don't see them in UFC much do you? Some here and there, but mainly tae kicks.

I normally go for the throat. A couple of solid shots to the windpipe makes it swell up. This effectively reduces or cuts off the air to the lungs and in turn to the body and brain. When what oxygen remaining in the bloodstream is exhausted, they go down.
If it's some drunk wanting to kick my ass I go for a sweep of the knees then walk off. But if some one is hell bent on trying to hurt or kill me then I go for the throat. I just keep my distance until they run out of air.

I see what your saying super, seti, but I didn't just learn straight up Tae Kwon Do. My instructor wanted my to be able to defend myself efficiently so he did include many different self defense techniques. Personally, I go for a good chair or rock over my hands and feet. If I did have to get in close, I would go for the knees, break them with a low side kick.

But now a days, if you end up hurting the man you attacked, you end up with some sort of charge. So that's why I like that Hapkido techniques I was taught. It really works and its quite amazing what you can do with a simple twist of the wrist or arm.

Back
Top Bottom