Multiple HDD Question

Sellsword2587

Beta member
I just recently upgraded my HDD, but havent installed it yet (wont do so till after X-mas). I currently have a 160GB 8MB cache 7200rpm 150MBps SATA HDD (about 4 years old, believe it is a Maxtor), and just got a 250GB 16MB cache 7200rmp 3GBps SATA Seagate. No plans on putting them in RAID currently.

Originally, I was going to keep my OS on my old 80GB (because reformatting and reinstalling drivers is a pain), and run my games, music, and movies off of my 250GB slave. Some questions I have...

1. Should I use the 250GB as a master instead? I know it is higher performance, but I'd assume it would run just as well being my slave drive. Didn't plan on using as my master, because didn't want to reinstall Windows and my drivers, and because I basically just wanted a second, uncluttered storage space.

2. My 80GB has been reformatted a few times, but still works just fine. Is it still good to use as my OS HDD? use at all?

3. Any other suggestions/comments?

Thanks for your time.

1. The salve performs just as well as the master does, so dont worry about that.

2. What i personally would recommend (because i am obsessive when it comes to compartmentalizing things) that you leave your OS on the 80 GB, set the pagefile to use only your 250GB HDD and put your games movies and wtvs onto the 250 GB.

3. Get an external harddrive and scrap the 80GB, that way you can keep movies and game installers on the ext, and just the OS and installed games on the internal. Thats what i do. That way no matter what youll never lose your game installers and movies etc.

its most ideal to run windows and apps from the same HDD, since a lot of the files these programs need access to are in the windows directory.

i would suggest phasing out the 80GB. For now you could dual boot a windows installation on both drives until the fresh copy is where you want it to be, then take out the 80GB and keep it some where safe.

Thats what im currently doing with my 200GB\500GB\1500GB HDD's

Back
Top Bottom