Hard Drive Issue

rohan23

Fully Optimized
So, I finally got my new build finished. I'm using an old Western Digital IDE hard drive. Everyone was going fine. The build posted and read the Vista DVD fine. But, when I began installation, I couldn't find the hard drive anywhere. It can't seem to locate it. Any suggestions/advice?

Corrupt drive? Check all wires. Did the drive work before? Maybe test it on a different rig?

The drive was working on my old computer, which I JUST took the hard drive out of. I don't have the disk that came with the hard drive. Do I need to install drivers or something for Windows to install?

Triple check the cable to make sure they are on right. Also, might wanna check the jumper setting on the hard drive, make sure its on Master.

One question though. Where exactly does the installation fail? When trying to reformat?

You know when you decide where you want to install windows? The hard drive selection screen, with the partition options? Nothing shows up in the menu. It's completely blank. I didn't change the jumpers on the hard drive. I'll recheck them in the morning. I hope I didn't get the slave and master settings wrong. The cable is on right. The DVD drive works just fine. They are both on the same IDE cable.

The HDD should be attached to the end connector on the IDE cable. It should be jumpered either as cable select or master.

Back
Top Bottom