Old HP

Austinn1

Daemon Poster
My dads HP crashed, the HDD failed. So we went and bought a new one, (he wouldnt let me build him one), He has an old HP with a 160gb HDD, 512mb oF ram, and a P4 2.6 with XP Home. Should I replace the HDD and keep it? Maybe a torrent box. Or I could add some ram and it for music? Or put linux on it. Might Check into seeing if its compatible with a Dual Core..

Opinions?

EDIT - If I decide to trash this thing. Can i Build a new desktop, and take the recovery drive out of the old HP and use it to install XP Home on new build?

what is the computer being used for?

And no you can't use the recovery from another computer to install on a new one. The drivers on the recovery are specific to the hp so ot won't work.

Its not being used for anything right now, The HDD is toast. I was asking if it'd be worth it to replace it.

In my opinion yes because hard drives aren't all that expensive in that size range. It is far cheaper than buying a new computer.

That computer still has plenty of life in it for things like surfing the internet, cd/dvd burning, torrent box.......it would be a waste to trash it. I'd be glad to take it off your hands if you do though :p

Back
Top Bottom