Start from scratch?

mcroker90

Beta member
Hello everyone, I have a computer that runs windows vista. I have a son and he downloaded a bunch of crap on it and now its really slow and has viruses on it. I was wondering if there was a way to delete everything and start over like it was a new computer. If you have the answer you can email me at mcroker90(a)aol.com. Or just reply here. Thanks :D

{edit} Email edited to prevent spam.

Well, It is possible, yes. You need a disk with Vista on it - You MIGHT have got one from the computer manufaturer.

So, Before we go any further: Do you have a "recovery disk" or anything similar? It will have come in the box with your computer.

Well, It is possible, yes. You need a disk with Vista on it - You MIGHT have got one from the computer manufaturer.

So, Before we go any further: Do you have a "recovery disk" or anything similar? It will have come in the box with your computer.

Well I kind of want to switch to XP, so if I get a disk with XP it will it work? and no I dont belive i have a recovery disk. What is it used for?

Well, A recovery disk is used for just that - Recovery :D. Depends on the manufacturer, but they somtimes let you install the OS again, while keeping the files or do a total new installation.

If you want to downgrade to XP, then you will need an XP Disk & License:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116511

That's $90. You will also need to find the windows XP versions of the drivers for you computer.

If you give us the make & model of your computer, we might be able to help.

What if I get a bootleg copy of XP? Will that work too? And where can I see the model of my CPU? I know its a DELL.

What if I get a bootleg copy of XP? Will that work too? And where can I see the model of my CPU? I know its a DELL.
Well, It could work, yes. But, we arn't allowed to discuss that on CF (It's bootleg ;)).

NeoDude might be right about the downgrade stuff - I've never looked into it though.

Well, It could work, yes. But, we arn't allowed to discuss that on CF (It's bootleg ;)).

NeoDude might be right about the downgrade stuff - I've never looked into it though.

lol sorry I mean I would never use bootleg stuff ;) . So do I just put the CD in and it will load on here and delete everything? If so what will I lose?

if you want we can help clean it up.

You'd need to remove all the crap you don't need.

1st goto add remove and fine things you don't need and delete them. then.....

Goto mycomputer, c drive, goto the windows folder, look for a folder called 'Prefecth' and delete everything in that folder.

Now goto google and google ccleaner and download it and run a scan on both your computer and registry, after that, delete all the crap with ccleaner, and then give it a defrag, this should all make pc run faster and smoother and make it alot cleaner.

Now download avg anti virus free ware, and run a scan, this can take along time.

lol sorry I mean I would never use bootleg stuff ;) . So do I just put the CD in and it will load on here and delete everything? If so what will I lose?

If you format your system you lose everything

Is all that stuff free? lol Just asking. Its not just programs he has on here its viruses and adware stuff like that

Thanks guys im going to try this now, ill be back to tell everyone how it went!

Back
Top Bottom