PCI E 2.0 Question

rohan23

Fully Optimized
Just how much of a performance increase/hit will I get from these setups.

Setup A:
1 GTX 260 Core 216 running at x16.

Setup B:
2 GTX Core 216 running at x8 each.

I don't understand the whole speeds thing. I read the cards wouldn't use all of the bandwidth anyways. Can someone please explain it to me?

The GTX 260 has an automatic 2.0 PCI-E slot. I think you are talking about SLi? If you are then SLi is meant for games that have been coded for multi-gpu graphics. Most games can't take advantage of the performance anyway, I speak from experience with my dual SLi 7800gt's. One performed as good as 2 did.

For your specific question, the 8x * 8x versus the 16x, I personally can see no performance decrease or increase.

The GTX 260 has an automatic 2.0 PCI-E slot. I think you are talking about SLi? If you are then SLi is meant for games that have been coded for multi-gpu graphics. Most games can't take advantage of the performance anyway, I speak from experience with my dual SLi 7800gt's. One performed as good as 2 did.

For your specific question, the 8x * 8x versus the 16x, I personally can see no performance decrease or increase.

That was the 7XXX series!
The 7 series was the first series to have SLI abilities and they sucked! Now with the 8xxx, 9xxx, and 2xx series, SLI has huge performance jumps!

The drivers for the 7 series were shoddy at best as well.

There isn't that big of a difference. So, I should just stick with this board and not worry about upgrading? I can easily take my Q6600 to 3.0Ghz, which is really all that I need. I guess I can start saving up for my 2nd Core 216.

Back
Top Bottom