User bars

its not at all rubbish. maybe if you actually think about it (xD) then it makes perfect sense :eek:

it may not make a ton of new users stay, but its things like that which make a forum worth staying at. if i see a forum with the default phpbb3 theme ill have a quick look then never visit it again. theyve just put no effort into it.
Theres nothing wrong with this forum, but it has no advantage over others whatsoever. both CF and rapidgaming have a pretty low member count, especially for 2 good domains. i just dont see why we cant have like a blog / system that lets users upload reviews instead of dumping them in the forums, and then custom user sigs, and stuff like that. i know a forum is about the posts, but theres so much more that can be done. i mean if you click any of the links at the top of the page you get unfinished pages/no theme on them. i mean not even the christmas logo is the right size.
cf is still a great place but sometimes it takes a bit of ranting to get things done. i mean if david is busy then there are plenty of skilled members here that could prepare the images/blogs/whatever that needs doing. i mean lets face it, if the 30 of so very active members left this forum then there wouldnt really be a forum, so its a close community, and we just want to make it better.

+1

it may not make a ton of new users stay, but its things like that which make a forum worth staying at. if i see a forum with the default phpbb3 theme ill have a quick look then never visit it again. theyve just put no effort into it.

No offense intended here but your forum you opened disproves that theory IMO. You had a flashier theme and all of those great things you talk about that members apparently want but yet you had a handful of members and it died after a month or so. This place is heading up towards 1 million posts now. It's all about content as far as i am concerned not whether you can put a little picture of pokemon underneath your name that proves how cool you are.

so why not have the flash and content? then we'd be gettin members left and right. and maybe more members staying instead of just coming for help

No offense intended here but your forum you opened disproves that theory IMO. You had a flashier theme and all of those great things you talk about that members apparently want but yet you had a handful of members and it died after a month or so. This place is heading up towards 1 million posts now. It's all about content as far as i am concerned not whether you can put a little picture of pokemon underneath your name that proves how cool you are.
new forums need a ton of work now days, cuz forums are so popular, so to make a successful one its very ... VERY hard. although i thought id give a forum a shot ... and ive tried a few in my time, i never really put much effort into them. as im quite lazy and clearly if i put effort into it then it wouldnt have failed quite so much.
cf may be at 800k posts, but so what. minus the spam, and the social lounge and stuff, and it really isnt a great amount.
i know it sounds like im just being real negative, and no im not going to leave whatever happens, but some of you guys need to see the light. people like flashy websites and good content. they will not go to a site thats ugly, full of broken links, and spam (im not saying cf is full of spam though, or in fact ugly). as i said, maybe sort out better ways to upload reviews (build up a good archive that we can use as a reference), and offer custom sigs (in fact, im not even talking about custom sigs now, im speaking generally, anything is possible).
people need incentives to stay, current members need more than just a forum (some sites offer VIP, downloads, have a radio station, etc, etc). both the content and looks of this forum can be improved, and thats the reality of the situation. i just hate to see a forum with so much potential being stuck in the slow lane. ive seen it before :(
ive had a few beers, but apart from the odd typo, i believe im speaking sense. i guess its just a matter of opinions at the end of the day.

so why not have the flash and content? then we'd be gettin members left and right. and maybe more members staying instead of just coming for help

because most people when looking for a forum just go with the first few provided by google. They don't google "flashy computer forums". They just search for "computer forums" post their question, then leave because they have no more need for us.

Back
Top Bottom