4gb ram and 32-bit OS?

i installed vista ultimate 64-bit last night, i should be getting my ram in 2 weeks or so. i might even go with 8gb since it's so cheap.

which one of these is better? price does NOT matter, i'm looking for the best performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184
Depends on your specs, and if anything is overclocked.

If you have an Intel FSB based platform, not overclocked, it will depend on the FSB speed. If the FSB speed is for example, 333MHz (that's 1333MHz quad pumped), the RAM will run at 667MHz, in which case there's no point in buying RAM of any higher speed because it would just be wasted.

Athlon 64 X2s have a DDR2 800 memory controller, and no FSB bottleneck. Phenoms have a 1066 memory controller.

If you overclock it's a whole different story though.

Depends on your specs, and if anything is overclocked.

If you have an Intel FSB based platform, not overclocked, it will depend on the FSB speed. If the FSB speed is for example, 333MHz (that's 1333MHz quad pumped), the RAM will run at 667MHz, in which case there's no point in buying RAM of any higher speed because it would just be wasted.

Athlon 64 X2s have a DDR2 800 memory controller, and no FSB bottleneck. Phenoms have a 1066 memory controller.

If you overclock it's a whole different story though.

GPU: EVGA 8800GT
CPU: Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz
Mobo: Asus P5Q Deluxe

nothing is overclocked, never will be. what's the better choice?

I installed Windows 7 64-Bit this morning, it runs my 4GB nicely and I'm having no driver issues. I didn't like XP 64-bit, seemed slightly pointless running 4GB+ RAM (so a decent PC) with no DirectX 10, also had no windows media player mini-mode, it was very quick though.

They're both the same, DDR 800, same timings, everything. The only difference is the memory chips used, but that would only come into play when overclocking.

Performance difference between CAS 5 and CAS 4 timings are negligible.

the reapers look cool with the handle thingys but they're more expensive though, the best value is probably the G. Skill, so like worshipme said, I'd go with those...

Blech. I cannot even fathom why Vista 32 even exists. Most 32 bit only CPUs are a little old for running Vista smoothly anyway.

I have a friend who's HP system has an Athlon 64 X2... with vista 32 bit. WHY?!?

Back
Top Bottom