I think i have done something wrong...

footynutdyl

Beta member
I am not advanced with computers, i installed ubuntu and it has overwritten my vista, this is what came out when i put sudo fdisk -l into terminal

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x2f795f59

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 18662 149902483+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 18663 19457 6385837+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 18663 19457 6385806 82 Linux swap / Solaris
dylan@dylan-laptop:~$

now i dont know much on computers and i really have gone wrong so does anyone have any suggestions as how to get windows vista back?

if i have posted in wrong section please tell me before moving it

You won't be able to recover your Vista installation, but as ATF said start from scratch and re-install Vista.

Do you have a Vista disk?

i got the acer aspire 5520 from pc world and it didnt come with the cd i am nearly 100% sure of that.

so any suggestions?

no CD at all?

I hope it isn't one of the "make your recovery CD from the hidden partition" jobs. You could load up with a BartPE disk and see if there is another partition on there which "may" contain your recovery disk files but I'm not sure how you'll go, you may be lucky and the Ubuntu install hasn't touched the partition.

Regardless you're in deep trouble if you don't have a disk, be it a recovery disk or a Vista disk, you say you're "nearly 100% sure", it might pay to check and be 100% sure.

Have you contacted PC World to see what they have to say? Find out if there is a hidden recovery partition and how to access it if it does exist?

Last resort would be to buy Vista I suppose.

Good luck

Your local Pc shop can probably sell you a CD copy of the installation media for Vista for a tenna maybe then you just install it and key in the COA serial code which will probably be on a sticker on the underside of your lappy. It will still allow you to use that COA because the computer is the same. Then activate via the wizard included in the machine or over the phone (and explain what happened.)

COA pictures:
coa_page_pc-sysbldr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom