Where and How to learn Java and/or C++.

Mal said:
So if you want to learn or find out where to learn the Java and/or C++ programming languages you should find everything you need here.

Firstly I suggest for a serious student-type programmer investing in books on the subject and relevant language to you. There are a lot of people who recommend a lot of different things, having not read many I couldn't say which the best was, but I suggest the "Sam's teach yourself language_of_choice in 21 days" series as an excellent easy-to-follow guide to any language. With that said, lets get down to business.

The majority of people not wishing to (at least not straight away) shell out $/£ 30-40 (or your relevant currency) on a detailed book on one language will want to find some good online tutorials to get the feel of it first.

Lol, it's called a library.
xD

haha c++ i got a friend who tried to teach me how to use C++ and how to build the hello world program over msn ( didn't turn out the way i wanted to lol)

the toutorial are good but i reckon they could be a little easier to use

thanks

okay i want to start programming in Java and C++
so please list some books that dont have flaws and are great to learn from
in the mean time im going to do some research myself
and see if i cant come up with a list for you all to look over
brb.......... eventually

okay i want to start programming in Java and C++
so please list some books that dont have flaws and are great to learn from
in the mean time im going to do some research myself
and see if i cant come up with a list for you all to look over
brb.......... eventually

This is 2 years old.:mad:
I belive the rules are no posting in threads older than 3 months old.
Correct me if i am wrong.

Actually the last post before yesterday was only June this year, not 2 years ago, and it is a sticky so as far as I am aware you can post in a sticky, I could be wrong.

I'm not sure on the rules, but I do wish to add that in light of my current knowledge most of what I said originally still stands, although if you are planning on learning a language in full then there is no single source that will cover everything you want. All sources mentioned by everyone are very reasonable starting points and anyone wishing to progress will inevitably find their own path and literature which suits their own tastes.

Personally I have found that
C++ How to Program, 4th edition is an excellent book for a beginner

Thinking in Java, by Bruce Eckell is a very good choice, it's a very big book and covers a lot of material

Back
Top Bottom