Should I overclock my CPU?

djskiggz

In Runtime
NZXT Guardian 921 Case
Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready
Intel i7 920
ASUS P6T Motherboard
6GB XMS3 Corsair DDR3 PC310666 Memory
VisionTec Radeon 4870 X2
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit
RAZER Lycosa Keyboard
RAZER DeathAdder RZ01

Not sure if i should? And i really have no clue on how to do it. Am i going to need a cooler?

If you are going to overclock, it would be a good idea to get a new cooler. You can overclock on the stock cooler, just watch your temps.

If you are going to overclock, it would be a good idea to get a new cooler. You can overclock on the stock cooler, just watch your temps.

I'll have to agree with my archnemesis Crabbs on this one; You can overclock on the stock cooler, just watch your tempuratoors.

Not sure if i should? And i really have no clue on how to do it. Am i going to need a cooler?
I would suggest that you spend a week or two reading results from your google search for "i7 920 overclocking guides" before you do anything.

A wrong voltage setting can be detrimental to the point of disaster with this new architecture.

This calculator may be of some assistance but please read up any guides you find first, it's a lot different clocking these new chips to the old style ones where you just raised volts and FSB frequency.

NZXT Guardian 921 Case
Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready
Intel i7 920
ASUS P6T Motherboard
6GB XMS3 Corsair DDR3 PC310666 Memory
VisionTec Radeon 4870 X2
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit
RAZER Lycosa Keyboard
RAZER DeathAdder RZ01

Should you overclock your CPU?

If you want to push your system further, If you want to gain extra performance for nothing and if you love a challange then, yes.

Overclock this beast!

Anyone got some suggestions on coolers? I heard that I should wait to get a cooler since most of them suck ATM. Is that true?

You can overclock with the stock cooler. You just need to watch the temperatures. Try not to push the voltage too high. Just begin with small increments. That way, you will get experience and not risk damaging your processor.

Back
Top Bottom