CPU Cooler is kind of broken. What is my max temp?

Schmidlapp84

Beta member
While cleaning my PC of dust, I decided to take off my CPU cooler/fan to get a thorough dusting. I have a Core 2 Duo E6320 1.86GHz with the stock Intel 775 Socket cooler/fan. After a good dusting, I had some troubles putting it back in place. I ended up bending one of the white tab things that goes into the hole in the motherboard. After bending it back, I just couldnt seem to get it into place. While trying to get the other 3 holes in place, I ended up bending some more of those white tab things and it just wouldn't go in.
After some serious sweating and frustration, I kept trying but this time one bent so far that when I went to bend it back, it snapped off.

Anyways, I managed to get the other 3 in place properly and the 4th is "sort of" in. The cooler feels pretty tight to the CPU which is good but the 4th corner isn't making the cooler 100% effective. I also did not reapply any thermal grease as I do not have any....lesson learned.

I plan on getting a new CPU cooler....maybe the same I already have but I would prefer a better one but not too fancy. Unfortunately I do not know what my CPU temp was running at before I decided to do some dusting. All I know is that one time I thought the cooler was on tried to boot up my PC. It would boot for like 20 seconds and then shut off...then give me an alarm. So I finally got it on as good as I could and now its running fine but the fan seems to be spinning faster than usual after about 5 minutes running. I downloaded CoreTemp to monitor my temperatures but I do not know what my max temp is for my E6320 1.86GHz CPU.

CoreTemp is showing that each core is idiling around 53-58 Celcius with 0% load and it gets up to about 62 while using Internet Explorer or other minor tasks. I'm don't want to start up a game as I fear that someting will burn/melt/break. There is another temp on CoreTemp that says Tj. Max and it is 85 Celcius and doesn't change. Is this my max?? If anyone could please help me that would be great. I just need it to work until I get a new one which should be by Christmas. Is it running too hot? I am a gamer but I probably play more games on my 360 as I only have a GeForce 7300GTbut upgrading to an 8600GTS in the near future. I'm not looking for freezing temps but temps around 30-40 degrees celcius or less would probably do me wonders I imagine. What temps would a new $20-30 cooler give me?

Any help or recommendations would be great. I live in Australia so buying a cooler from NewEgg.com won't help me as they don't ship overseas yet. Wish they had the same prices over here.

Also, does thermal grease or a compound come with CPU coolers these days or do I need to buy some?

Thank you. I will try my best to not go over 60 or 62 in my case. The PC seems to be running fine but I'm sure 60 is pretty damn hot! What would be causing the "most" of getting these 52-58 idiling temps? The 4th corner not being in properly or not having any new thermal grease applied?...the old stuff is still on there.

Thanks for the links but newegg doesn't ship overseas. I'll have to find something over here but I'll keep the brand and model in mind :)

It could be a combination of both. The lack of the last pin could mean insufficient pressure on the cpu, and the old thermal paste could have air pockets in it.

I took a look at some coolers online and some have the spring screws or spring clips on them. Does anyone know if they come with a plate or something that I have to put behind the motherboard in order to install these kinds of coolers? Is it difficult to install and what are the risks of damaging my motherboard with the plate compared to the push pin things that I currently have...and broke.

What do you think of these? Like I said, I'm not looking for freezing temps. I just need to replace the one I had and possibly go a step up. I just want average running temps with some headroom for games. Speaking of games, if I upgrade my video card from 7300Gt to 8600GTS, will this make the CPU temp go up or will the video card GPU take all of the heat?...no pun intended.

Here's 2 examples. Would you think that they would "come with" a mounting kit as my board is a LGA775 socket and my motherboard only has the 4 holes...I just need to know before I buy so I don't end up having to buy a kit when it doesn't come with one.

http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/28710_Asus_V_70_CPU_Cooler_Best_Value_Vhoice.aspx

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/83646/COOLING_CPU_FANS/Aeolus/CFAN-GAMMA50.asp

The mounting kit is more secure, since it fastens to a plate that sits behind the motherboard instead of using the motherboard itself. It's more work, but it's a more secure method.

The V-70 should be a step-up from the stock cooler seeing how it has four heatpipes, but I was unable to find any reviews online. The cooler will come with it's own mounting kit.

I bought a new CPU cooler today. It came with a mounting bracket for the back of the motherboard. My PC is now running around 40-43 degress celcius which is much better than 60. Thank you for your help! Everything is working and back to normal! :D

My CPU seems to be pushing 50 C and that seems high to me... I may look into a new cooler myself.

Back
Top Bottom