ddr3 motherboard

True, you can OC the 920 to perform better than the 965 at stock speeds, but can't you also OC the 965 to perform at a higher level? And my bet is that when you OC both, the difference in speed will be greater (in favor of the 965) than if both weren't OCed.

@ worshipme: I had this all decided this morning and then i got your post and it really made me think all over about this. Finally, I got tired of it all and just bought the thing. But here's my question for you. I'm assuming that your logic behind your recommendation was basically that since I'm not an overclocker and the 965 is an overclocking beast (almost made for it), I won't be able to use the thing to its true capabilities (at least from an oc'er's POV) so why spend the money to get a beast. However, this logic seems a little backwards to me. If i was an overclocker, I would look at the 920 and think, I can make that thing run faster than the 965 and save myself $800 so why do i need the 965. However, not being an oc'er I think that I want as fast as possible out of the box and that's the 965 both because it is higher speed and because it can use higher speed RAM.
I was just thinking about it based on price.
You're going to spend $500 more on a 965, and it's not going to be much faster, apart from if you overclock. Same with the 940, it's $200 more expensive than the 920 and not really that much quicker. But if you have deep pockets, it's OK, I guess.

I was just thinking about it based on price.
You're going to spend $500 more on a 965, and it's not going to be much faster, apart from if you overclock. Same with the 940, it's $200 more expensive than the 920 and not really that much quicker. But if you have deep pockets, it's OK, I guess.

Yeah, I completely agree with you if price were a consideration I would definitely gow tih the 920 or 940 as they are most certainly the most bang for your buck. I am in one of those very unique situations where price really isn't much of a consideration (to a point I guess since cost is always a consideration even for Bill Gates). It is just a fairly large ordeal to even get approval for buying something like this through my work that when you get the approval, it's best to go all out up to the $3000 limit.

Anyways, thanks for the recommendations. I really appreciated all of it (voted you all up). Another completely satisfying experience with this forum.

Got the system and just finished getting it all setup. Very fast and very nice. Here's the specs that i went with;
CPU: Core i7 965
MOBO: ASUS P6T
RAM: 6 GB G Skill DDR3 1600
VGA: eVGA GTX 280
PSU: Corsair 750W
HDD: 2 Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB's
Case: NZXT Tempest

And a few samsung DVD-burners as well as a logitech mouse and keyboard and 2 acer 19" monitors (I know, 19" is way too small, working on fixing that).

the only thing I can say is that I wish I had this system at home.

Very nice. That's probably the best set up (as far as mixed central/processing power are concerned) that I've seen. Are you going to OC it?

I would love to oc the thing. It's just screaming at me to oc it but since this is a work computer and not my money but my company's I probably shouldn't basically since i don't know how to oc so it seems much more likely for me to mess up and possibly fry the thing.

Back
Top Bottom