Acronis true image 11 question

Celticsfan

Banned
I believe my computer has a virus or something so I might have to reinstall it's OS. I made an image of my HD sunday and placed it on an external usb HD which was not connected to my PC when the infection occurred. I used acronis true image 11.

For those of you who have used this software in the past, how do I go about getting my PC back to the way it was before the infection. Do I have to reinstall my OS, then install ATI 11 on the pc again, then just hock up my external HD and then copy my E: drive (external HD) to my C: drive internal HD)? If not that, how do I do it? TIA.

I have the same software and have an image of my C: drive on the D: drive. I haven't used it yet but if I need to i'll just click on the application and select restore backup. The computer should reboot. I'd press F8 during POST and select my D: drive as boot drive and let the restore begin.

This is how I imagine it to work.

Can someone please give me a definite on what needs to be done who has done it. I don't want to mess it up.

thx

you either create a "bootable rescue cd" through the software or use the cd if you purchased an actual cd copy of the software. just boot to the rescue cd with the external hard drive connected to the computer, and select "restore", select your back up image file to restore and where to put it (probably your c drive), and it will restore your disc image putting your computer back to the way it was when you made the image.

Yes, that is what I thought. I already have a bootable ATI cd. Is it true that the OS isn't even opened when the restore takes place? Also, does it ask for the source file, which in my case is my E: drive and then ask for the destination drive, in my case C: and then select restore? Please let me know.

thx

yeah, your os never loads..you boot to the rescue cd. the restore process will then take your image file and write it over the existing os on your hard drive, replacing it. it will ask for the destination drive, then you select your back up image to restore.

i don't really remember...been a while since i did a restore with it. it either tells you it's done and you click ok or something, or it just boots into the restored o.s.

the more i think about it, i think it gives you a message it's done while you're still booted into the rescue cd. and even if it doesn't, it's just booting up into the safe image you just restored anyways.

Back
Top Bottom