Don't Buy from HP... Ever

I've had an HP laptop, worked flawlessly for me...then sold it cause i ended up buying a Macbook for school instead. I hear that the desktop computers are much better quality then their lineup of laptops.

I dunno, it sucks what happened to you buddy, but i wouldn't start hating HP, cause come on, technology isn't perfect, shit happens...yes its frustrating, but it still happens.

Well that's the thing, I would say "yeah sucks that it happened to me but they're still a good company" except for the fact that it happened to like hundreds of thousands of other people and HP is pretending it doesn't exist. This isn't like some small fluke here, nVidia's stock dropped 30% when they were forced to release the information that their GPUs were defective. They were sued twice for the problem. They also set aside 200mil for the potential damages and repairs (which was not NEARLY enough). And yet, after all of this, HP pretends they haven't even heard of the problem? It's not about them not fixing my computer, it's about them lying. I'm kind of savvy so I can deal with it, but what about regular everyday users who trust their computer manufacturer to tell them the actual problem they are having?

Dell and Apple have fully acknowledged and recalled all of these laptops; to me, this makes HP the loser in this game.

In addition to this, those two forums I posted where hundreds and hundreds of people are posting, HP has responded ONCE. Yet, every day they censor and delete tons of posts that give other customers strategies on how to deal with the situation... That's not customer service, and it's not just happening to me, it's happening to thousands of people (and the MANY MANY more who aren't on these forums)

Well that's the thing, I would say "yeah sucks that it happened to me but they're still a good company" except for the fact that it happened to like hundreds of thousands of other people and HP is pretending it doesn't exist. This isn't like some small fluke here, nVidia's stock dropped 30% when they were forced to release the information that their GPUs were defective. They were sued twice for the problem. They also set aside 200mil for the potential damages and repairs (which was not NEARLY enough). And yet, after all of this, HP pretends they haven't even heard of the problem? It's not about them not fixing my computer, it's about them lying. I'm kind of savvy so I can deal with it, but what about regular everyday users who trust their computer manufacturer to tell them the actual problem they are having?

In addition to this, those two forums I posted where hundreds and hundreds of people are posting, HP has responded ONCE. Yet, every day they censor and delete tons of posts that give other customers strategies on how to deal with the situation... That's not customer service, and it's not just happening to me, it's happening to thousands of people (and the MANY MANY more who aren't on these forums)

o sorry i didn't understand all those details you just typed up. well then infact you do have a great point, and most definitely it would lead me away from purchasing their products. Well it sucks it happened to you, hopefully you find a better company to deal with :), try Lenovo...i hear amazing things from their line up of laptops.

o sorry i didn't understand all those details you just typed up. well then infact you do have a great point, and most definitely it would lead me away from purchasing their products. Well it sucks it happened to you, hopefully you find a better company to deal with :), try Lenovo...i hear amazing things from their line up of laptops.

Same here, Lenovo apparently just has really high quality parts and service so maybe that will be my next go. And of course I'm not saying your next HP experience would be as bad as mine, but hopefully by then they won't be shipping out millions of laptops with defective GPUs :p And I was SO close to not buying that "Upgrade" to the nice nVidia card.... bahh

And of course I'm not saying your next HP experience would be as bad as mine, but hopefully by then they won't be shipping out millions of laptops with defective GPUs :p

There is more than one manufacturer involved in the case. If I recall correctly, Dell and HP were among the first to embrace the recall.

Please don't think this is limited to HP, because it isn't.

Same here, Lenovo apparently just has really high quality parts and service so maybe that will be my next go. And of course I'm not saying your next HP experience would be as bad as mine, but hopefully by then they won't be shipping out millions of laptops with defective GPUs :p And I was SO close to not buying that "Upgrade" to the nice nVidia card.... bahh

well i don't buy prebuilt desktops...i build mine, and as for a laptop, i don't think i will be replacing my macbook for a few years :).

There is more than one manufacturer involved in the case. If I recall correctly, Dell and HP were among the first to embrace the recall.

you make a very good point. There are more then one manufacturer that is involved, but that still doesn't make HP's customer service the ability to be such jerks when it comes to an issue. Remember, you are buying from HP, so HP should be more willing to fix issues with the pc/laptops...and that would mean sending it to their manufactures if that may be the case.

It is illegal for HP to not repair it I think. Implied warrenty. All electronics need to work out of the box... These things are not working right out of the box. They are running hot.

Apple and Dell were the other two manufacturers involved in the case. They both issued (late, but they still did it) a full recall for all laptops with the defective parts in them.

Also - HP knew about this since November 2007 (and probably earlier) - they and nVidia worked together at this time to release a "solution", which is a BIOS update to keep the fans running all the time (theoretically to fix the overheating). Well, first of all this fix didn't work, it just made battery life shorter. Second of all, if they knew about this in 2007, WHY are the consumers first hearing about the defect now?

I am not the only one who is annoyed about the delay in notification to customers, nVidia's shareholders sued nVidia for withholding this information. It is clearly to push people past their 1 year warranties; again I will say... This is very shady business practice.

We had a similar problem out work where we had like 10 of the same model HP laptops and like 5 developed the same fault. They did repair them free or charge thought, but wouldn't admit there was a fault with that model

Remember, you are buying from HP, so HP should be more willing to fix issues with the pc/laptops...and that would mean sending it to their manufactures if that may be the case.
Keep in mind Nvidia still isn't releasing any details to these venders. They're in the dark when it comes to specifics.

It's important to have all your facts straight before issuing a recall.

Keep in mind Nvidia still isn't releasing any details to these venders. They're in the dark when it comes to specifics.

It's important to have all your facts straight before issuing a recall.

HP Definitely was not in the dark, otherwise they wouldn't have attempted to secretly release a BIOS for these laptops to leave the fans on all the time (last year) to stop the overheating. They might not have all the details, sure; but it was clear enough to Dell and Apple that they both did full recalls

Back
Top Bottom