Don't Buy from HP... Ever

karling07

Daemon Poster
Hey everyone - so a while back I posted in the computer section about my laptop. It was acting kind of funky for a while, then the graphics basically just totally died (I couldn't boot into windows, BIOS/POST screens were discolored).

I had originally thought b/c I was out of warranty I was screwed. After a bunch of research I found that thousands of customers were having the same problem as me (right around the same time too!). I then saw HP had put out a recall enhanced warranty for my entire family of laptops because of this. But guess what; Intel laptops in the family weren't included! This seemed odd to me, because the problem was clearly with the GPU and all of the symptoms they listed were identical to mine. (it's a 7600go by the way). I might have bought into the crap about Intel vs. AMD mattering because it could overheat the GPU or something, but nVidia has also released a statement admitting to fault in this GPU!

So, I was a little annoyed because who wants to pay $500 to fix a part that was shipped to you defective? 5 hours of arguing with tech support and FINALLY being made a case, the lady tells me it's probably just my hard drive (which has no effect on the BIOS and POST screen...) was being misused (putting the blame on me). She says she never heard of anyone else having this problem (which is total bullshit as you will see below) I refused to hang up and she said she couldn't do anything, so I started making threats for calling the BBB and such.

She said "I can have you send in your laptop and the technicians will determine if you have to pay for it to be fixed". So I send it in, and today I checked the status. Free repair. This is good for me, but kind of odd; are they admitting a defective part? If so, why was my laptop not in the RECALL?

Then I found hundreds of people on HP forums (and many non-HP ones) posting about this issue; very few of them were lucky enough to get as far I did:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service...47626+1228772997983+28353475&threadId=1274587

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Hardware&thread.id=12

God you'd think 500+ responses on each would be enough to get a little attention.

After reading numerous posts from people who WERE able to get the repair (free or not), it seems that the problem persists after the repair too (just takes a few months to come back)

Sorry for the rant, I wouldn't say don't buy HP if it was just my computer, but they are ignoring thousands of customers (and probably MANY MANY more that never even knew about this defect), and intentionally lying to us pretending they don't know about the problem.

If anyone is at all concerned, it's the DV6000 and DV9000 line of laptops, so if you've got one... watch out

Meh, big business. This kind of crap happens all the time, sometimes you gotta get a little "encouraging" over the phone.

LOL! Cabbs has the right idea :D

I Stay Away from Compaq/HP For reasons like this and some things that have happend with some of my computers from Hp and Compaq.

That's messed up. I better cross my fingers, my mom's HP lappy with a 7600GO seems fine so far.

It was acting kind of funky for a while, then the graphics basically just totally died (I couldn't boot into windows, BIOS/POST screens were discolored).

If anything, you should start blaming Nvidia. They're at the root of all these problems.

Don't think you're the only fish in the pond here.

nVidia has admitted fault (grudgingly, but they at least did it). HP is legitimately just lying to people on tech support saying the problem is unrelated and probably something to do with the hard drive. They obviously know about the problem

Dell and Apple have both released extended warranties for ALL models effected

I know I'm not the only fish in the pond here, but since HP uses nVidia, they are responsible for that; if they think nVidia is responsible, they should sue nVidia for more money- not put the cost on the customer. If this was my custom built PC where I chose the specific card, I would of course blame nVidia and take it up with them. Unfortunately, this is what HP does, and they have a responsibility to fix the problems of the defective parts that they buy and sell to the consumer

And muz: 1. nVidia withholding information about the defective part is illegal. Stockholders sued them for it (and won). 2. HP knowing about the problem and only recalling certain models is, you are correct, not illegal but certainly shady...

That's messed up. I better cross my fingers, my mom's HP lappy with a 7600GO seems fine so far.

She'll probably be ok if she's not gaming :) at least for longer than I was. I almost never gamed, but I did always have my laptop on and the display pretty bright. Using Vista and all of its fancy gadgets... Overheating seems to be what fries the computers

I've had an HP laptop, worked flawlessly for me...then sold it cause i ended up buying a Macbook for school instead. I hear that the desktop computers are much better quality then their lineup of laptops.

I dunno, it sucks what happened to you buddy, but i wouldn't start hating HP, cause come on, technology isn't perfect, shit happens...yes its frustrating, but it still happens.

Back
Top Bottom