Reusing parts?

metin

In Runtime
Is it a good idea to reuse parts from an approx. 7 year old build on a new one?
I know that I want to use my DVD drive from this computer that I'm using for the one I'm building.
The DVD drive is less than a year old.

you can reuse parts as long as they are compatible with the new hardware. reusing the DVD is no problem what so ever, however reusing ram or cpu could be...you'd need to check the compatibility.

if its still compattible ie if the new mobo has an ide or sata port for the drive then go for it

With something that old, you would probably be better off getting new parts as the speeds and technology have greatly improved.

:D

If it's 7 years old, it's most probably going to be IDE. I would really go for a SATA DVD drive. SATA is a little bit faster at 150 mb/s. You also get a smaller cable. That reduces the airflow in the case. It also makes cable management/the overall look in your case better.

I wonder if thats why my IDE DVD drive installs stuff slowly...

If it's 7 years old, it's most probably going to be IDE. I would really go for a SATA DVD drive. SATA is a little bit faster at 150 mb/s. You also get a smaller cable. That reduces the airflow in the case. It also makes cable management/the overall look in your case better.

Like I said, the drive itself isn't 7 years old
But how can I check if the drive is SATA or IDE?

Like I said, the drive itself isn't 7 years old
But how can I check if the drive is SATA or IDE?

You can tell by the cable connecting to the drive. It if it's skinny, it's SATA. If it's very flat and thick, it's IDE.

Back
Top Bottom