PC power supply question

jasonbourne

Baseband Member
There are two fans on my PC power supply that have stopped working but its still supplying power. I'm still able to do normal operations on my computer. My question is will I need to get a new PC power supply right away or should I be good for another week?

i would get it right away becuase if your power supply doesn't get cooled, it has a chance of overheating and maybe causing a fire

It would be a good idea to get a new power supply as soon as possible to avoid any potential problems.

i would get it right away becuase if your power supply doesn't get cooled, it has a chance of overheating and maybe causing a fire

Thats the worst case scenario.

Usually the PSU will fail quietly. The switching transistors will go first due to over heating.

Try and reduce the load on the PSU if you can by removing current hungry components.

Or replace the blowers.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll have to keep a close eye on my PC then before payday which is next thursday because I got some computer projects that I need to get done.

Ok I do plan on buying a new PC power supply but I may have to hold off on that one for another two weeks because of bills and stuff. Now I know that the power supply needs to stay cool so it doesn't overheat and stuff. My idea was to use an electric fan such as this one in the example....

http://www4.shopping.com/xPO-Lakewood-Lakewood-Lakewood-Personal-Clip-Fan

and prop it up right next to the PC tower (with the case removed) and have it blowing on the power supply to keep it cool whenever I use the computer. Would that be sufficient enough to keep the power supply cool?

In my opinion I think so. Just for something temporary until my next paycheck which is before Christmas.

I would highly recommend not using your system until you get it replaced.

That fan will not do anything because it won't be circulating air through the PSU. Not too mention you could have worse problems if the thing catches on fire.

Also the power supply helps circulate air through the rest of your system, so more than likely it is going to get hotter in your case.

A $10-15 dollar power supply is a lot cheaper than replacing other components in your computer.

The psu has built in thermal overload. Odds of a fire are slim to none.
You can replace the fans for less money than it costs to replace the psu. Some fans just plug in and some are hard wired to the board. Either way you can replace the fans.

The psu has built in thermal overload. Odds of a fire are slim to none.
You can replace the fans for less money than it costs to replace the psu. Some fans just plug in and some are hard wired to the board. Either way you can replace the fans.

True, like Budwiser.

Surely you can mod a $10 fan to the PSU. Even if it means using a Molex to supply its power.

Just to update everyone. I was getting ready to buy me a PSU from tigerdirect when my buddy had a genius idea. He had two small cooling fans that he used to keep his amplifier cool and said I can use them. I mounted them to both sides of the PSU and holy crap. The PSU is nice and cool. These fans cool the PSU better than the ones that are built in lol.

Back
Top Bottom