Building my first computer - Is 2x1gb or 1x2gb Ram better?

DontlaughImNew

Solid State Member
Hey there I'm doing my first computer build and Ive decided on just about everything apart from what type of ram I'm getting (Specs in Signature)

But the main thing i wanted to know is whats better to get?

2x1gb of ram or 1x2gb, obviously if i went with 2x1gb id be running it in dual channel but is there any benefit over that using a single 2gb slot.

Also if anyone can suggest some/better memory was going to go with either Kingston Hyper X 800Mhz DDR2 kit, or a G.SKILL 800Mhz DDR2 kit.

And finally are the Hyper X versions much better than the normal Value ram?

Thanks Guys :D

I would suggest getting the 2x1GB kit as they are not much more than a single stick and will give you a bit better performance running in dual channel.

You can't go wrong with either the Kingston or G.Skill memory. They are both quality memory manufacturers.

The HyperX memory offers better performance due to it's lower latencies and it typically overclocks better then the value series.

As others have said, go with 2x1. Spreading out your memory allows the computer easier access to it all. (Think of it as having to lift a heavy object, and you can ask one really strong person to do it or two regular people. Even if they possess the same sum of strength, it will be less stress to even out the lifting.)

Also, I like Corsair memory.

Back
Top Bottom