Router question

Celticsfan

Banned
How do I tell if my router is a NAT router? I have a linksys rtp300. Can someone please tell me if it is?

thx

I believe all personal based routers are NAT capable.

I assume in order to get into your router config you use either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 correct? If so and you are connected to the internet then your answer would be yes.

Or

Go to run > type in cmd > then type ipconfig /all and if your IP address starts with 192.168 then you have a private address and your router is NAT capable.

Most, if not all routers support NAT.

nat (network address translation): NAT technology translates IP addresses of a local area network to a different IP address for the Internet.
The Router's Network Address Translation (NAT) technology protects your network of PCs so users on the
Internet cannot “see” your PCs. This is how your LAN remains private. The Router protects your network by
inspecting the first packet coming in through the Internet port before delivery to the final destination on one of
the Ethernet ports. The Router inspects Internet port services like the web server, ftp server, or other Internet
applications, and, if allowed, it will forward the packet to the appropriate PC on the LAN side.

Linsys RTP300. Have a read through the user guide.

Does something need to be configured inside the router in order to be considered a NAT router or do they all just come that way? I'll try and read up on it but if someone could answer me I would appreciate it.

Netbogger, Yes that is the case with my IP address.

As netBooger said, they come configured that way. You can go into the router properties and either enable or disable NAT.

As netBooger said, they come configured that way. You can go into the router properties and either enable or disable NAT.

yes, I just saw that in the manual where it can be disabled or enabled.

Thanks for that guys.

My next question for you is it necessary to use a software firewall with my router as well or would I be as I'll say "double natting" negating it's NAT all together if I do that?

thx

It's not a bad idea to use a software firewall. It wont hurt and you wont be "double natting".

"Double Natting" is placing your computer behind a NAT router which is itself, behind another NAT router.

Dunno, I don't use one. From what I understand, Windows Firewall actually works pretty good. Other than that, the only one that comes to mind is Zone Alarm.

:D

Back
Top Bottom