Nirvana - About A Case

taw

Solid State Member
I'm looking to build a new computer, and I have a question about cases:

If a case is marked as being SLI-ready such as this, what exactly does it mean? I think I could be answering my own question right now, but its only a guess - Is it SLI ready because its long enough to accommodate the length of a 260/280? Many complaints in case pages on Newegg seem to be about the difficulty of fitting a 260/280.

Help is appreciated!

It means that it can fit two graphics cards. It's just marketing though, almost any mid-size case can do multi-GPU unless your cards are monstrous.

Of course if you get the monster sized cases like Cabbs and I have, you could park a Volkswagon in either one.

Big cases are nice though, you get more room for...everything lol. More drives, more radiators, and hands.

Big cases are nice though, you get more room for...everything lol. More drives, more radiators, and hands.

More dust to clean! I like mid towers. The majority of them accommodate a good amount. I don't run a lot of stuff in my computer. So, I don't need the extra space. But, I'd go for a full tower any day for the right price.

True, although my current tower is HUGE, and it's been a pain to lug it around. I mean, I can put up with it, but whenever I take it to a buddy's place to LAN, its just a monster to carry.

I'm assuming its an ATX Full, because most towers I've seen, others in my house and friends', are smaller than what I have, but not small enough to be one of those mini PCs (forget the technical name for them).

I'm hoping I can find an ATX Mid that will still comfortably fit a 260, yet not be much taller than what I currently have. Unfortunately, I can't remember what brand/model tower I currently have, otherwise I'd list it here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137 - what i'm getting

Rather than make a new thread, I have another tower question now:

I currently phobia of picking a tower that won't keep my computer sufficiently cool. When browsing through cases, its hard for me to want to pick a tower if it doesn't have at room for at least least two to three 120mm fans. On the contrary, I've read that too many fans can cause extensive dust buildup.

Would the case I'm leaning on be sufficient to keep the following PC cool?

MOBO: ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core
GPU: 1x MSI R4870X2-T2D2G-OC Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported
MEM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
PWR: Rosewill RX850-D-B 850W 80Plus Certified,ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 SLI 8800GTX SLI CrossFire Ready Active PFC
SND: ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Card
HD: 2x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
DVD: 2x Sony NEC Optiarc 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7220S

It should keep it perfectly cool. If dust buildup bothers you get fan filters or blow the dust out with an air compressor or those little canned dusters.

That case will be more than sufficient at cooling your system. :D

more than? excellent..

in that case [no pun intended], should I bother getting heat spreaders for RAM, and a different heatsink/fan for the CPU? There's nothing really available on Newegg yet for i7s anyway

There's really no need to buy heat spreaders for your memory as they usually come with them except in the case of the value series memory.

Back
Top Bottom