display settings problems

spaz_boy31

Solid State Member
I have a Toshiba laptop,and the problem is when i right click for display properties all that comes up is Themes, Appearance, and Settings. But I don't have the screensaver or background menu, anyone know why that could be?

you have to be easy on me lol, screen shot of? when i right click? ans yes im in xp

anyone??

Boot into safe mode and scan for viruses and malware. Some thing has disabled part of your OS. How did you get the wallpaper up there in the first place?

Hasn't always been like that, only for like 6 months. I have pictures on my computer, just right clicked and clicked set as background

I've never seen a problem like that before, I'd try repairing windows, reformatting, or virus/malware scanning. :(

Could a virus called Extrs Antivir be causeing this? I've bought Norton and scanned and scanned and scanned and it doesn't pick up that virus, and idk how to get it off, any help with that?

Click Start and then Run.
Type gpedit.msc in the Run dialog box.
Press ENTER on your keyboard.
In the Group Policy Editor navigate to:

User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Display

Double-click Hide Appearance and Theme tab.
Select Not Configured.
NOTE: If the Appearance and Theme tab is missing on a per User account basis then the above method will not work, you will need to use the Registry Editor to remove the Group Policy.

OR

Click Start and then Run.
Type regedit.exe in the Run dialog box.
Navigate to:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Right-click NoDispAppearancePage to select Modify.
Change the value to 0.
Navigate to:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Right-click NoDispAppearancePage to select Modify.
Change the value to 0.
Quit the Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
NOTE: You may need to log off then log on to your user account or restart your computer for the changes to take affect.

OR

Open a Command Window.
Type:

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v NoDispAppearancePage /t REG_DWORD /d 0

Type:

REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v NoDispAppearancePage /t REG_DWORD /d 0

Type EXIT and press ENTER on your keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom