1st question from me (Custom Built vs Retail Built)

SD Zephyr

Beta member
O hai.

FIRST QUESTION OF MY PROFILE HERE

My friend has bought several games I want to try out but I haven't had a chance to do so because my family computer is HELLA SLOW

So now that I have a job, I'd like to know:

WHICH IS CHEAPER: CUSTOM BUILT GAMING COMPUTER OR RETAIL BUILT?

Pretty much all I have to say. I'm expecting a couple questions as to what I want for a gaming computer, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

In nearly every case, it's cheaper to assemble your own computer than to buy a prebuilt system such as those from Dell, Compaq and even places like iBUYPOWER.

a lot cheaper to build your own man, just gotta find the right sites with the right prices and the site doesnt rip you off with the shipping. I prefer www.newegg.com, their shipping prices are great and so are their prices on products. Let me use Alienware as an example, a very high end Alienware will cost about $5000, you can build something just as good and even better for around $2,000-$3,000. You are mostly paying for the name as you can see.

you can build yourself a $800 pc that will most likley blow a $1,000-$1,500 retail desktop out of the water. If you are spending atleast $1,000 on making a custom pc for gaming, build it yourself, you dont have to have a quad core processor or the newest i7 to play the latest game. You can use an intel core 2 duo and you'll be fine. A 4850 which isnt to much can run normal games now a days really good, of course not crysis in full but you'll still run it with decent graphics and not have any slow downs in framerate.

Since we've already established that building is cheaper, I'll just throw in my two cents for building a gaming computer:

Whatever your budget is, make the highest investment in a good video card and RAM - those are the two components that will determine how your games run. Exactly how much you need, of course, depends on how graphic intensive your games are. Once you've determined that, find a motherboard and power supply that will work with the card and RAM (a good power supply for gaming these days has 600+ watts).

I beg to differ oriion. It's a blend of all the parts that make a good system. From the power supply to the screws that hold it together, they all have to work together to make it work. IMO finding a vid card then building a system around it is bad advice.

Seems to me that the main first choice you want to decide is do oyu want an Intel or AMD processor. That's just my opinion though.

Also, as everyone has said, building a computer is way cheaper (save at least a few hundred depending on your budget). However, if it doesn't work for some reason or quits working, you're on your own to fix it. People here are really helpful if you get to that point but that can be insanely frustrating. Just soemthing to think about, how much is your time worth to you. Going with some retailer, depending on their service, gives you someone to call and say, "Hey, my computer broke, fix it." That being said, you'll learn a lot about comps and quick if you build your own.

well luca most of the products bought now a days have atleast a one year manufacturer warranty, that of what most retail pc's have. Some products even go up to 3 years or even lifetime warranty. You can extend the warranty on retail pc's i believe, not sure if you can on all computer boughten parts though.

You just gotta know whats wrong with your computer if you have a problem and if you still have a warranty on the product that gave out, call their support and wallah.

as far as the ram stuff goes oriion, i would have to disagree. You do not need a whole lot of ram to run now a days games, heck 2 gigs will do fine depending on your operating system, although 4 gigs will give you better overall performance. 4 gigs is more than enough and can be bought for $50 for most of the mobos out now a days. If you want to go about $20 more you can by memory with better timing. Going beyound 4 is not needed at this moment in time, in 5 years, most likley but not now.

Graphics cards is most likley going to be the most expensive thing that you buy when building a pc unless you dont want to go extremely high end of course.

Do not focus on only two of those things when building a computer though, just like setishock means. Every part has to work together, from the PSU, to your CPU, to your graphics card, to basically everything. Focus on everything when building your pc, not just on what you think is better to focus on, all the little things matter to. You cant put a cpu cooler on a cpu without putting some thermal compound on the cpu first, and ofcourse cleaning off the compound you already had on their in the first place, you can but say goodbye to your cpu than.

For a cpu i rather go with intel, especially right now, AMD is in a bit of a downfall at the moment i think they may run out of buisness sooner than people think, they have cut over 3,000 jobs this year alone. You may have more support with intel incase something doesnt work right. AMD is a bit cheaper but i think intel is more reliable, but its all up to you.

Good points tech. However, as you mentioned you first have to figure out what's wrong/which part isn't working and that alone is pretty much where all the headache comes from. Using a retailer, you simply have to know that something is wrong. It's their problem to figure out what it is whether while on the phone to you or after you send it in to them. That's all I was talking about.

Back
Top Bottom