Xbox 360 controller on PC

cavemangrinder

Fully Optimized
I just bought the Xbox 360 wired controller for my PC. Thing is, how do I get this crap to work!? I bought it so I can play GTA San Andreas and The Witcher with it. Now, with GTA, I am able to use the controller (a little bit). I've been trying to set up the button configurations in the settings menu, but its still too unmanaged and not nearly the way it should be. As far as The Witcher, I don't even see a damn option to use a gamepad, which is odd because the game itself sports the "Games for Windows" badge. Any help plz. Thanks

hmmm very strange, it should work even on games that dont have the saying "Games for Windows" cause i saw someone playing crysis with the wired 360 controller. Im not really sure why you are having this problem. Do you have all the buttons configured and its still doing that ?

did you install the drivers?

one bad thing i dont like about the 360 controller is that the RT and LT are axis, so it doesnt really work for some games.
A PS2 layout controller seems to work well, but its a pain to map all the buttons for every game while with the 360 controller you wouldnt need to.

i think if theres no gamepad option, then the game just doesnt support the controller, whether its made for windows or not.

Well, like I mentioned, I can play GTA, except that the trigger buttons do nothing. I cant seem to find a way to configure them in the settings menu.

*EDIT* Yeah, I got the drivers installed before I started up the games. GTA is working somewhat but the triggers are not configurable through the settings.

reason why its that is because san andreas expect you to choose all action as an button and not an Axis, except for movement and camera. the LT (Left Trigger), and RT (Right Trigger) are Axis based.

I think when the game came out, it wasnt made for an 360 based controller and more of the playstation version, and the manufacturer never released a patch for it.

For the witcher, you can download one of those controller mapping thing, but its a pain in the ass setting it up.

Yeah ok. That makes sense there. Damn, so I'm sh*t out of luck trying to use the trigger buttons for GTA (which is a big part of the reason I got this controller). I still don't understand why The Witcher is not compatible with a controller. I was under the impression that (Games for Windows) supported the Xbox 360 controller.

i think the "Games For Windows" is meant for Games for Windows and not for Mac?

ABOUT GAMES FOR WINDOWS

The Games for Windows brand on games means four key things:

1) Quality. Games for Windows branded titles undergo extensive testing, and not just by the publisher. Microsoft also invests in quality checking each title to ensure they meet performance and reliability standards.

2) Compatibility. Games for Windows branded titles work on Windows XP and Windows Vista based PCs, including both 32- and 64- bit editions. Games for Windows titles that support controllers are also compatible with the Microsoft XBOX 360 controller for Windows, including the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows. They even support widescreen resolutions and more.

3) Safety features. You can be confident that any title carrying the Games for Windows brand will support the new parental controls and family settings features in Windows Vista.

4) Easy to Play. Games for Windows branded titles are easy to install, find and remove, especially in Windows Vista. Every Games for Windows title appears in the new Windows Vista Games Explorer (no more hunting around the start menu for that game you just installed). And Games for Windows branded titles all offer some form of “easy install”, putting you in the game more quickly.

The games don't necessarily have to support using controllers, but if they do, they must support using the Xbox 360 controllers.

reason why its that is because san andreas expect you to choose all action as an button and not an Axis, except for movement and camera. the LT (Left Trigger), and RT (Right Trigger) are Axis based.

I think when the game came out, it wasnt made for an 360 based controller and more of the playstation version, and the manufacturer never released a patch for it.

For the witcher, you can download one of those controller mapping thing, but its a pain in the ass setting it up.

You're very well informed. BTW, GTA:SA came out a year before the Xbox 360 and back then the major console was the PS2, the triggers on which are just buttons.

Back
Top Bottom