Internet router also used for networking?

JAFL

Baseband Member
This might be a dumb question, but I'm hoping someone here can enlighten me about routers.

I recently purchased an internet router to be able to connect to the internet with my laptop. I also have a desktop (with cable modem) that is serving as the host computer.

My question is, should my laptop be able to network with the desktop (should I be able to access the desktops C drive, files etc with the laptop?? Or do I need a different type of router to also be able to network?

The internet connection is working great from the laptop, but I wouldn't know how to view my desktops drive even if I wanted to.

Every time I boot up, I am getting a firewall message for "System, trying to connect to my computer", but I've been blocking the request since I don't know what that is.

Can anyone shed some light on all this in laymans terms?

Thanks.

Are you connecting wirelessly to your router from your laptop? If so did you enable WEP or WPA (security).

Other than that yes you can connect to your desktop. You just have to make sure both you desktop and laptop are in the same workgroup. Then you go to My Network Places and to the workgroup option. You should see your other computer in there.

To share stuff you will have to set up shares. If you want to access your C: drive then you will have to share the whole C:.

Back
Top Bottom