overclocking question

matthew798

Solid State Member
Hi guys.

Lol, you might laugh at me alot on this one, but i overclocked my 2.6 to a 2.9, by upping my FSB from 200 to 266 and reducing my multiplier from 13 to 11. Now my ram is operating at 487.7 MHZ and it says max supported is 400 MHZ. So why can i type and post this message as well as pass all ram stress tests i can throw at it and play games flawlessly?

Is the max supported just a guideline?

I believe the 400 MHZ is what the manufacturer rates it at to be the most stable and reliable. Anything over that the manufacturer doesn't recommend due to the fact that is not what it is designed to do.

So yes your memory runs fine now but that doesn't mean it will continue to run well as you are putting more stress on it than is originally designed. But then again it could run flawlessly for awhile without problems.

because you're overclocking maybe, do you think?

by raising the FSB you have raised the minimum supported memory MHz

Everything is running above spec, that's the beauty of overclocking.

so does that meen its safe in your professional opinion or will it likely bug out sooner than later?

You'll be fine. The only time longevity comes into play is when you start raising voltages pretty high.

Another quick question, i am getting 2 sticks of corsair ram, 4GB total. According to new egg, they run at 1.9V but on the sticks themselves it says 1.8V. The 2 gigs i already have runs at 1.8V but in the event that i need to up the voltage to 1.9V, and i have already overclocked the FSB, will the 2 gigs of kingston ram (rated at 1.8V) end up being damaged?

The RAM should be fine. I've ran RAM at 2.19V daily without problems for almost a year.

I agree with Crabbs, you shouldn't be overclocking your PC. You'll eventually run into major problems. It's like flooring a car instead of just whistfully gliding along.

how can you agree with cabbs (no R), he is saying that my overclock should be fine and you think it is bad... I dont understand... And why would mobo companies put overclocking tools into the BIOS if it was so intensely bad? I don't think your post was very well founded...

Back
Top Bottom