Hardware problems???

azguy

Solid State Member
I am having a problem with my computer. I do not know a whole lot about these so if you need more info to help than I give just ask.

I tried to turn my computer on the other day and I was not recieving a signal from the computer to the monitor. I then checked the wireless mouse and keyboard to make sure they had fresh batteries and this did not fix the problem.( usually I have to move the mouse to get the computer to connect) I tried a direct plug in mouse and it still did not connect. It looked like the wireless reciever and plug in mouse were not getting any power as they were not lighting up.

All of the other lights and fans on the computer work. I talked to a guy at Fry's Electronics and he told me the problem was the mother board, so i replaced that and now my computer will only stay on for about 10 seconds if it is vertical and about 3 minutes if it is on its side and I am still haiving the same power/ connection problems.

I can provide system details if necessary when I get home.

Yes please do post your details.

But for your first motherboard are you saying that when you would power it up there is nothing displayed on your monitor?

Or

When your computer is in sleep or hibernate mode you cannot wake it up?

When it is in hybernate mode I can not wake it up.

I tried turning it on and off a few times as well and it still wont connect to the monitor.

The wireless reciever one is a USB and connects to the green port on the back as well. The Mouse I plugged in went directly into the green port on the back.

When you get home tonight i suggest powering down your computer and monitor, unplug them from the wall outlets, wait a couple minutes then plug back in. Make sure all connections to the computer and monitor are secure. When your using your wireless connection plug in both the USB and the green connection. If you have a non-wireless mouse with green connection and non-wireless keyboard (purple Connection) try those also. Power up your computer first, then your monitor. Listen for any beeps also. If anything changes or if your problem still persists let us know.

I know these suggestions seem kinda obvious but ive had PC's do similiar things to me. plus it will help narrow down the cause of the problem. :)

P.S. if ya need help with any kind of copmuter related problem go to a forum like this or an IT friend before you go to a place like Fry's or best buy, there "IT professionals" are usually full of crap and they usually try to sell u expensive hardware/software you dont need.

I tried doing that when the problem first started but it did not help. I will try again tonight though.

So it stays on longer if it's on it's side? It sounds like the heatsink on the CPU isn't mounted properly. When it's on it's side it's getting more pressure from gravity.

Good call on the heatsink. I will check that. Do I need to re-glue it? It looked like there was some kind of putty on the top. I just removed it as per the instructions and put it on the new board, but there was some substance between it and the CPU that I did not put more of on.

You need to clean all that off with rubbing alcohol and a paper towel or something and reapply some new thermal paste (that's the stuff you saw).

Back
Top Bottom