help wanted

starjones

Beta member
well you see, my sister got a new laptop and i now have her old one. she used ubuntu on it and i can not stand ubuntu because i am so use to windows.

i have an xp disc, but the disc drive on the laptop is broken.

so i was wondering, is their anyway i can hook my laptop to my desktop and put the xp disk in my desktops disc drive and some how install xp that way?

if so how?

if not, is it possible to download the xp software from a site such as the pirate bay and install it on the laptop that way?

or is their a way that i have not yet forseen?

getting another disc drive is my last resort.

You could try putting XP on a USB flash drive, preferably a really stripped-down version, and installing it from that. Or, you could try sharing the disc drive from another computer and running it from there. I'm not sure how that would work though. I've never tried it.

Hi,

I have to agree with the las two poster. It really isn't that easy to do a network install of XP. Especially if you have never done one. I would recommend that you give Ubuntu a shot and see if you at least like it at all, then you might want to think about a dualboot.

Cheers!

one thing you could do, it get a dvd drive that plugs in USB, aka an external dvd drive. I have one...and i can plug it into any computer i need too.

As long as you have a valid serial key, you can download a copy of XP. but, i am not sure that you can install it that way. Ive always installed it from disk, Not while another OS is running.

Back
Top Bottom