Linux question

Hi,

I am guessing that everyone here is using Ubuntu, or a Debian variant. If anyone is having issues with any of the other distos feel free to ask me or PM me if I don't respond in a timely manner. Also, I can answer just about any Ubuntu question that you can through at me.

Cheers!

I believe there is a distribution of linux called Lindows; which works and acts just like the windows operating system.

Edit: It's now called Linspire

I don't get it - you don't have internet or you can't burn it to a CD? All you need is internet, download the distro you want and use instlux, linux installer, or a network install.

I built a computer and don't feel like spending 100 dollars for vista becuase i do not like it. I have the internet and i just don't know how to put something on my PC without a CD to burn it on and no OS

Hi,

I am guessing that everyone here is using Ubuntu, or a Debian variant. If anyone is having issues with any of the other distos feel free to ask me or PM me if I don't respond in a timely manner. Also, I can answer just about any Ubuntu question that you can through at me.

Cheers!

I've used OpenSuse and Gentoo!

I built a computer and don't feel like spending 100 dollars for vista becuase i do not like it. I have the internet and i just don't know how to put something on my PC without a CD to burn it on and no OS

Just use whatever comp you're using to post at CF and download a base linux install file (it's tiny, will fit on a flash drive) like this one:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

And then run a total network install. Ubuntu is based on debian, it will have something similar, if not just the ability to use the same install. You have no other computers or a friends you could borrow for 30 mins to download and burn Ubuntu though? It'd be a lot simpler

Hi,

Please follow these instructions line for line. This will allow you to partition your hdd. You will need two things, an ISO file from

Gparted, and a program that will allow you to burn a LiveCD. I would recommend CDburnerXP, or Finalburner. Unless you have a cd burner that will burn ISO files. A regular cd burning program won't work. It must have an ISO burning function.

• Go to GParted, then download an ISO file for the latest version.
  • Download a copy of CDburnerXP or Finalburner or an ISO burner of your choice.
  • Burn a LiveCd

Let me know when you have that done and I will help you with the next step.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom