Sound problem with my computer

cobra2k3

Beta member
Not sure if im in the right forum, move or delete this if so

Anyways

My computer is just a bland bestbuy computer i bought for the internet and the odd game or two. Nothing special.

e machines computer
amd athlon 64 3200+
2.0ghz
512k l2 cache
2000mhz FSB
ati radeion x200 igp

Thats all i can see on the front of it haha

The problem with the computer is randomly the sound will just stop working. When this happens the computer runs quite slow also. The task manager shows just sitting at idle with only msn open, 46% cpu usuage roughly. It will run like ass until i restart it and eventually do the same thing again. It does this quite often.

The odd thing though is when i shutdown the computer it will make the shutdown noise, other then that no other sounds.

Computer was just reformatted.

Any help or input is appreciated, thanks.

Yes, everything is up to date as far as i know. The last update was about 2 weeks ago.

is it an on-board audio driver? If it is, go to the mainboard manufactures website and find the most recent drivers and update them. Also, try disabling your startup programs if you know how. There may be software installed that is conflicting with the drivers since the sound goes on when you shut down.

To disable startup programs go to

Start:
Run
type: msconfig
click the "Start Up Tab"
You can either uncheck everything or individually disable certain programs. It's safe to diable them all for testing purposes but DO NOT MESS WITH THE OTHER TABS OR YOU COULD MESS UP YOUR PC.

You could also go to the "SERVICES" tab and click "HIDE MICROSOFT SERVICES" and disable all of those, but I would not suggest doing this unless you know what your doing.

btw this is for windows XP. Not sure how vista works...possibly the same

Back
Top Bottom