i7 CPU's overclocking worries

Kage

Golden Master
Hmm... No wonder the lower spec i7 CPU's are going to have problems overclocking...

"Overclocking is very different on the Core i7. Unlike the Core 2 or Pentium D processors, the Core i7 CPU can monitor the current it draws as well as its power consumption—if it exceeds a certain level, the processor automatically reduces its clock speed. Intel calls this feature "Overspeed Protection." The limits hard-wired into the core are 100 A and 130 watts. Only the Extreme Edition allows the user to increase these values as they like, effectively circumventing the protection mechanism altogether.

Thermal power loss rises especially quickly when the core voltage is increased. Thus, it is entirely possible that a lower model Core i7 may offer excellent overclocking potential, but it will be constrained by the Overspeed Protection feature when its power dissipation triggers it. Obviously, Intel wants to prevent customers from buying an inexpensive processor and then overclocking it to very high or even extreme levels. Apparently, Intel has realized that the good overclocking potential of its processors has led ambitious users to choose less expensive models, relegating the faster (and more expensive) CPUs to the sidelines."

Taken from:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Intel-Core-i7-Nehalem,review-31404-7.html

So, this means, basically that no longer could someone do what they have done with the Q6600 and overvolt it like crazy.

Then again, to get my processor to 3200mhz from 2400mhz, it was as simple as raising the FSB, but even this in the new processor is changed to something else.

What are your thoughts on their direction with this?
I understand why, in the companies eyes, but for us? Where overclocking hasn't exactly been welcomed, but it has become a bi-product of buying computer parts that has just been accepted?

It looks like some may use less wattage at full load, and this is where people will find overclocking head room from now on... strange.

i guess its good for the people that dont really know about computers and wont have much of a chance damaging their systems.
but its bad for those good/die-hard OC'ers.

but the i7 is pretty fast already, so OC'ing isnt needed much

Thats like the main reason Intel has done so much better then AMD lately I thought. AMDs old processors that were at the time of the C2D and C2Q couldnt over clock by massive amounts. They could do a little, but nothing like the 80% increase you can get from a cheap E6300. But for stock speads, AMD was almost on par right? This might make intel start to loose the edge.... when it costs 1k for an overclockable processor... I say... BOYCOTT!! dont buy and i7!! lol, until intel makes changes that is...

I don't think it will be much of a problem. We aren't exactly for sure how the new OC'ing procedure will work and how the voltages are affected. There may be a trick or something to keep voltages low. We don't know. If it limits it a lot people won't buy it as much. Intel will realize their mistake and fix it.

The high end ones don't tend to drop in price that much though from what I've seen.

It is a shame they have decided upon this. They will say its a feature to protect from causing damage, but the real reason behind it, will be the fact that lower end models can overclock just as much.

In the end, the only real difference between the low end and high end models tends to be slight modifications in the BIOS (well what controls the CPU's readings) workings. Or am I wrong in saying that? Basically, the lower end models just tend to be significantly hampered high end versions.

Heh, its been ages since I've researched this stuff

That's too bad. I hope AMD doesn't pull crap like this in their next run of CPU's.

I don't see AMD doing that. AMD has always been kind of overclocking friendly.

Back
Top Bottom