Formatting Worries

IWasPhone

Solid State Member
I just formatted my computer for the first time in 6+ months. However, due to certain events, I had to format 3 times over the course of a few days. Considering that I won't be formatting again for some time, should my computer be okay and unharmed? Or would this formatting in quick succession damage it in any way? Thanks.

What did you format it with? Formatting it several times, but if you wanna give it a fresh start either do the windows FULL format (Not quick) or use KillDisk (this will get your HD as clean as possible)

What made you have to re-format it 3 times?

It won't damage the hard drive though, no. Formatting is basically erasing blocks of data, telling the drive where everything is. The data is STILL there, but unreadable by an OS.

KillDisk on the other hand, writes blocks of data to the hard drive, erasing what is there, and is a good option like Jackson.Mackenzie says to make sure your drive is completly clean of problems. This again, doesn't damage the hard drive, because hard drives are built to write over and over again.

As long as nothing is damaged, good. One other thing though. When I was restarting after I installed my video driver, I got one of those "ending program" boxes, but the program being ended was called, "you shouldn't see me." Is this something to worry about?

Yes. Looks like something is still lurking on your hard drive, and somehow booting back up.

Have you got an Antivirus/spyware scanner software you could sweep your hard drive with for issues?

I'd personally say AVG for Antivirus protection (The Free version), and Spybot - Search and Destroy for Spyware, but everyone has their opinion on these.

I'd update it, disconnect from the net, and run a full system scan.

Something odd is going on.

The "you shouldn't see me" bug isn't something that would ever make it through a format. Simple spyware - what else have you put on your comp so far?

Back
Top Bottom