Base System.

Sal!ent

Baseband Member
Question...

How much more beneficial is it to upgrade to a i7 core @ 2.66GHz / 2.93GHz

than to stick with Quad core @ 2.4GHz / 2.6GHz

Where is the most noticebale signifigance?

Most likely in multi-tasking, and when it comes down to pure number crunching, when rendering/encoding/decoding, etc.

I'm going to wait until prices drop in parts before I even think of upgrading my Q6600 to something else.
The whole archetecture has changed, so its not even a case of simply buying a new CPU...
I think I came onto the socket 775 wagon, a bit too late...

stick with the 2.4 GHZ Core 2 Quad because it will cost about 700 dollars to transer for a new MOBO which means you loose all your data, DDR3 RAM, and the cheapest i7 is 280$

stick with the 2.4 GHZ Core 2 Quad because it will cost about 700 dollars to transer for a new MOBO which means you loose all your data, DDR3 RAM, and the cheapest i7 is 280$

You won't necessarily lose all your data, but you will have to pay a large chunk of change for an i7 (which aren't cheap), a motherboard to support it, and DDR3 memory (which also carries a hefty pricetag).

Your tellin' me the requirements to run it are hefty???

Could you not just get a solid mother board that will handle it, about 4 gigs of memory etc. etc.?

Would the i7 core allow the 9800GX2 to max..?

He meant hefty in price :p

The I7 is a powerful piece of kit, BUT, I'm still not sure wheather it is powerful enough not to bottleneck a high class GPU completely, but I'm no expert in this matter.
I know for sure the Q6600 for example would still bottle neck a card like the 4750, and 260/280, etc,etc.

Back
Top Bottom