got this for free....some linux help please

DefCon_!1!

Fully Optimized
ceondrivejuno004.jpg

got this somewhat old VAIO for free

a brothers friend was getting rid of it cause it Blue Screen everytime u loged on.

i wanted to keep XP, but couldent get rid of the virus, so its running Ubuntu now.

now...my problem is...i know almost nothing about Ubuntu.

how do i get all the codecs and such to make it run like a windows machine.

i want to trasfer most of my songs and such form my laptop to it, to save space on my lappy.

Any help will be rewared in rep ofcourse :D

Hi,

Welcome to the world of linux. When you load a music player, say rhythum box, and you try to play a song, you will be given an error that says that you need to download some codecs. Follow the buttons and then download them. You will be given a message asking if you are sure that you want to install them. This is because by default Ubuntu doesn't have a license Agreement to have them on your computer by default but that isn't a big deal.

Also, you might want to look at installing VLC if you have too many problems with playing your songs. The fastest way to do that is as follows go to System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager. Then do a search for VLC. You will be given a list of 10 things. Go ahead and install all of them if you want. You will at least need the vlc package, and vlc-plugin-alsa, that will run with your soundcard, but installing all of them isn't the worst thing.

If you have any other problems feel free to ask, and myself or others will help you out.

Cheers!

Open the terminal and type in:

Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

This will install your codecs and flash/java.

Remeber you can install applications from Add/Remove, Synaptic, or the Command line.

Does it have an XP OEM sticker on the side with the serial number on it?

If so you can legally download and install XP Using that serial number.

Neo, I think that he wants to give Linux a try. There isn't anything wrong with that in my book. DefCon, downloading XP from a torrent, come on you should know that that is illegal. Just use your head and think about that one. I would give Linux a shot and see if you even like it a little bit there is so much that you could do with it other than just put music on it.

Cheers!

Neo, I think that he wants to give Linux a try. There isn't anything wrong with that in my book. DefCon, downloading XP from a torrent, come on you should know that that is illegal. Just use your head and think about that one. I would give Linux a shot and see if you even like it a little bit there is so much that you could do with it other than just put music on it.

Cheers!

It is not illegal as long as he has a Serial key. Its illegal if you dont have a key and you're downloading XP from a torrent and using the keys provided.

Cheers!

Yeah,if he doesnt want XP back he could just ignore my post,but i was just throwing that idea out there...

Back
Top Bottom