Favorite Server OS

LukaszR- what do you think of 2008? Every time I see the OS, all I can think of is "Windows Vista Server Edition" and then I crawl into a hole and hide

o its good...i wouldn't compare it with Vista at all, sure it has the same look...but its way more solid and easily managed. 2008 is a great OS, i have no issues with it at all...and it runs very smooth. Yeah don't be scared...its not like vista at all :p

I have fully licensed copies of Windows Server 2008. SBS 2008, and EBS 2008, although I haven't installed any of those licenses yet.

I have fully licensed copies of Windows Server 2008. SBS 2008, and EBS 2008, although I haven't installed any of those licenses yet.

i have server 2003 and server 2008 both enterprise editions, but i only installed 2008 on VMplayer to test it out...haven't actually set it up on a permanent pc yet either.

o its good...i wouldn't compare it with Vista at all, sure it has the same look...but its way more solid and easily managed. 2008 is a great OS, i have no issues with it at all...and it runs very smooth. Yeah don't be scared...its not like vista at all :p

Cool! Good to know -- probably time to update the 5 year old software I'd say. Thanks man

To wmorri: I don't think my problem would be running a computer with a CLI I think I would have more problems with packages. Apt-get makes things so easy, I still haven't learned how to build programs from source, and I think I would get all confused trying to meet dependencies. What else should I be prepared for when I try it?

Hi,

Well, if you are just planning on running it as a web server, and/or other server, i.e. SSH, then you shouldn't have to worry about to much. Just make sure that you are familiar with how to edit files from command. I would also recommend that you take a look at Freebsd Newbies. If you have the capabilities to install it as a VM then that might be good too. That way you don't have to worry about screwing with your system to much at first.

Cheers!

I've used lots of different servers, (lots of versions of windows server, and Linux, and Unix).

it really is a case of different strokes for different folks. no server is particularly *best* but different ones suit different purposes.

and some are easier to use than others.

I use and prefer Windows Server 2003 R2 at home and at my primary job. I think it is a pretty stable operating system. I have been using CentOS 5 and that seen to be pretty good for all my web server functions such as MySQL, PHP5 and Apache . I think Linux is excellent for web server stuff. I tried to run RedHat for a web server and ran into problems right away so a I switch and CentOS5 and I haven't any trouble.

Back
Top Bottom